benjiboo

Brinly Blade on a Suburban?

benjiboo

Yesterday I aquired a Brinly 38" blade and I was curious if anyone has adapted this to work on the back of a Suburban or other model with the slot hitch? Any pictures of how you did it?

Would this be too much weight hanging in the air for the lift cable or would this be within a safe working load for it? The tongue is 24" long. Thanks y'all!

20221207_094738.jpg

20221207_094848.jpg

• Like 1

oliver2-44

You would need a slot hitch adapter that looks like this.  Not hard to make if you have a welder.

You will need a lot of rear wheel weight on a Suburban to get enough traction. Then some front weight to keep the front end down. 

Pullstart

:text-yeahthat: except A LOT of front weight!  The cable should be the least of your worries, unless it is frayed or damaged in any way.  Lowell at Wheelhorsepartsandmore has high quality cables that we have tortured without fail that I’m aware of.

CB815E88-2D92-45B0-AA49-1A266521CC0A.jpeg

300841E7-6C5F-4092-B7E7-4199E85BC8C0.jpeg

2A1C956E-8CFD-4EDE-8A81-7493FD895880.jpeg

• Like 1

benjiboo
39 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

You would need a slot hitch adapter that looks like this.  Not hard to make if you have a welder.

You will need a lot of rear wheel weight on a Suburban to get enough traction. Then some front weight to keep the front end down. 

Yeah I have a welder and have pretty decent fab skills...I just can't seem to find the right size flat stock to use in the slot hitch. 

• Like 1

benjiboo
6 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

:text-yeahthat: except A LOT of front weight!  The cable should be the least of your worries, unless it is frayed or damaged in any way.  Lowell at Wheelhorsepartsandmore has high quality cables that we have tortured without fail that I’m aware of.

CB815E88-2D92-45B0-AA49-1A266521CC0A.jpeg

300841E7-6C5F-4092-B7E7-4199E85BC8C0.jpeg

2A1C956E-8CFD-4EDE-8A81-7493FD895880.jpeg

Yeah my cable is in excellent shape. Yeah I get it about the weight. My Suburban does wheelies just taking off at idle. 😆 

• Like 2

Pullstart

Adding front wheel weights, hanging weight, fluid filling the tires, or a combination of all three would surely help, especially once you hang more weight off the back.  

• Like 1

Achto
37 minutes ago, benjiboo said:

.I just can't seem to find the right size flat stock to use in the slot hitch

5/8" thick flat stock works the best but 1/2" thick will work as well.

• Like 2

benjiboo
Just now, Achto said:

5/8" thick flat stock works the best but 1/2" thick will work as well.

And what is the correct width? Seems like everything is either too loose or won't fit....

• Like 1

Achto
6 minutes ago, benjiboo said:

And what is the correct width?

I think it is 2", can't seem to remember that dimension off hand. A little loose will not effect things that much. You should not have to use any force to slide it into the receiver on the tractor.

Some where on the forum there was a drawing with measurements for making the adapter.   

• Like 1

benjiboo

2" on my Suburban is too wide. Looks like 1 15/16" which is pretty odd ball to just run out and grab somewhere.

20221207_122234.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

Know anyone with a mill?  Disk grinder?

• Excellent 1

Achto

:text-yeahthat: A little bit of time with a grinder and you could adjust a 2" wide piece. Only need to grind what goes into the slot.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Handy Don

12 minutes ago, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat: A little bit of time with a grinder and you could adjust a 2" wide piece. Only need to grind what goes into the slot.

Just be sure not to taper it lest it wedge in there!

• Like 1

Pullstart
53 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Just be sure not to taper it lest it wedge in there!

If it were tapered, a little sharpie or paint marker would show you where it is getting wedged :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2