Alan173

Picture Needed: Vertical Shaft PTO-Clutch Assembly

Alan173

Can anyone share a picture of the PTO-Clutch assembly similar to this:  (1979 B-111)

spacer.png

JoeM

I got one out back, I will try today to get a pic, what's up with the need?

Alan173
5 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I got one out back, I will try today to get a pic, what's up with the need?

Greatly appreciate the offer!

None of the WH assembly diagrams show the position of the stack of shims/washers.  Just hoping to take this apart and assemble it correctly (recently restored the entire tractor) -

...so my age is telling me to get any facts before I take it apart again!  ;-) 

Alan173
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Thanks for trying!  But unfortunately many times the WH diagrams are lacking on shims/spacers....and all of them do not show the shim stack I have above my fork bracket on the PTO-Clutch.  I believe I have it assembled correctly as it was before...but would like to confirm.  The shims on mine may also not be original and 'a fix' before I owned this WH?  Dunno.  A picture of one that is working on a vertical shaft WH is all I need.

I will also add some of the service bulletins in your link will certainly help me out on my new drive belt/adjustments!  :-) 

Edited by Alan173

JoeM

No shims on mine.

Looking at it, those shims on yours will not allow the hub to ride on the brake pad of the pulley. If anything they may have been under the bracket to make the clutch tighter when engaged i believe the engagement adjustment is on the horizontal rod?  

image.png.0a2ae2c5330ae57e059e57cb8d73905d.pngimage.png.783b1c59d5b53cc8356213e4163f277b.png

Wonder if this part is missing?? It has been a while since I took this apart. 

Picture 1 of 2

Edited by JoeM

Alan173

Thanks Joe for the pictures!  Looking at your assembly it is hard to believe mine has worked for almost 30 years!  The spacers look like a ‘fix’ for a bent fork bracket.  Question:  In your first picture there is an extension spring connected to a cotter pin mid-way on the PTO actuation rod…where is the other end of your spring connected?  I always had trouble with my PTO lever staying ‘disengaged’…

JoeM

This one? I will look a little closer tomorrow. 

image.png.f105212df895d28f2f97297a1b897e9b.png

Alan173

That is my guess.  Not the strongest mount point…but I can’t see where else it would go.,,

D545134A-7A78-4677-80D8-91FD6E51F144.jpeg

Alan173
7 minutes ago, JoeM said:

This one? I will look a little closer tomorrow. 

image.png.f105212df895d28f2f97297a1b897e9b.png

That is EXACTLY IT!!!  Perfect photo.  Thanks so much for confirming that.  My spring was missing…and my PTO lever never really felt quite right.  With this spring attached…it has a very positive hold in the ‘disengaged’ position.  Problem solved!  👍