ebinmaine

1975 C160 Automatic Restoration

squonk

Watch that fuel filter. They air lock quite a bit.

20240209_155510.jpg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

I've been using this style for a few years. 

I've had at least a couple get so dirty they stopped flowing.... in less than a year.  I believe due to the older metal tank's corrosion.   

I find if we change them once a year or so they do OK.  

squonk
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been using this style for a few years. 

I've had at least a couple get so dirty they stopped flowing.... in less than a year.  I believe due to the older metal tank's corrosion.   

I find if we change them once a year or so they do OK.  

I've had several air lock and a few members have as well. Taryl did a segment on fuel filters and he had the same issue and doesn't use them anymore.

22 minutes into the video. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, squonk said:

several air lock

I'll ckeck that out. Thanks Mike. 

Breakdowns are less than amusing 1000 feet or more into the forest.  

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, squonk said:

Thanks for sharing that video. I took a look at it today.

I was trying to hone in on the part number of the ones he was having trouble with. Looks like it may have been something to do with 120-136? The ones we have here are a bag of the Stens brand.

Overall I have pretty good luck with that brand but of course nothing is foolproof.

I found it interesting that fairly early in the video he mentions on his own little red car he uses something similar, but later in the video other similar filters were found to have problems including the original Kohler brand.

One thing he did mention in addition to the airlock issue is that they tend to clog faster and that's certainly understandable because the Micron rating is quite a lot lower than most of the other ones he has set aside there.

I hate to garbage toss the ones I have left but I think I'll put a reminder in my phone to change them out every 6 months.

squonk
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Thanks for sharing that video. I took a look at it today.

I was trying to hone in on the part number of the ones he was having trouble with. Looks like it may have been something to do with 120-136? The ones we have here are a bag of the Stens brand..

Those filters are sold by many different vendors. I see them all the time sold at flea markets and tractor shows. They have a distinct shape. The Napa # used to be 3011. I had trouble with those. But I see they have changed the design. The old 3011 looked like this:

Volkswagen Universal Inline Fuel Filter OPparts 803201511C 12754003  127.54.003 127 54 003 127-54-003 | Pelican Parts

The new 3011 looks like this:

NAPA Gold Fuel Filter

• Thanks 1