Daniel_Heetderks

Engine dies when I engage pto

Daniel_Heetderks

Every time I try to engage the pto the engine dies. the blades and belt spin freely, so im not sure whats going on. Any ideas? This is a GT-1100.

Edited by Daniel_Heetderks
  • Like 1

wallfish

Are you sitting in the seat when this happens?

The safety switches are designed to cut off the ignition if the driver falls out of the seat.

Seat safety switch

• Like 3

Daniel_Heetderks
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Are you sitting in the seat when this happens?

The safety switches are designed to cut off the ignition if the driver falls out of the seat.

Seat safety switch

I am sitting on the seat so i dont thiink that would be it. Thanks anyway!

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, Daniel_Heetderks said:

I am sitting on the seat so i dont thiink that would be it. Thanks anyway!

You can usually confirm that the seat switch is working properly by lifting off the seat when the tractor is running and the PTO is engaged. Engine should stop.

In your case, the trouble is either a failing seat switch, failing PTO switch, or bad wiring connections. 

Use the search bar with terms like "tractor" and "gt-1100" (with "use all my search terms" ON) to find the manuals and the wiring diagram that'll help you start tracing and testing.

(FYI, there are two PTO switches stacked together--one keeps the engine from starting with the PTO engages and one, along with the seat switch, stops the engine with no operator in the seat and PTO is engaged.)

Good luck! Circle back it you need more help.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Daniel_Heetderks
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

You can usually confirm that the seat switch is working properly by lifting off the seat when the tractor is running and the PTO is engaged. Engine should stop.

In your case, the trouble is either a failing seat switch, failing PTO switch, or bad wiring connections. 

Use the search bar with terms like "tractor" and "gt-1100" (with "use all my search terms" ON) to find the manuals and the wiring diagram that'll help you start tracing and testing.

(FYI, there are two PTO switches stacked together--one keeps the engine from starting with the PTO engages and one, along with the seat switch, stops the engine with no operator in the seat and PTO is engaged.)

Good luck! Circle back it you need more help.

The seat switch doesnt work at all. I can start it even if im not sitting on it. I will take a look at the pto switch and try to see whats going on there. Thanks!

• Like 2

wallfish

PTO safety switch and the seat safety switch intersect to shut off the ignition if the PTO is engaged without the seat switch engaged. That's what's cutting off the ignition when you engage the PTO. One, the other, or both of those switches is a problem or the wiring for them. Most common problem is the seat switch

Go to the files section and download the manual for the tractor for electric circuit wiring.

You can start a tractor without sitting in the seat. 

Is the wiring for the seat switch intact?

Is this a new to you tractor or this just started to happen on one you have owned? Many people bypass or try to bypass the seat switch

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
55 minutes ago, Daniel_Heetderks said:

The seat switch doesnt work at all. I can start it even if im not sitting on it.

Looking over the wire diagram. 

The PTO switch and the brake switch are the only things that interrupts the starting circuit.

The seat switch will only kill the engine when the PTO is on.

PTO switch in the OFF position = Starting circuit is closed to the brake switch, brake needs to be depressed to finish the circuit to the starter. In this position the other half of the PTO which connects to the seat switch is open and will not effect the engine.

PTO switch in the ON position = Starting circuit is open at the PTO switch and the starter will not engage. The other half of the switch is now closed completing the circuit to the seat switch. The seat switch is closed to ground when not occupied. This causes the ignition coil to be grounded out. Sit on the seat and the seat switch opens so that the engine will continue running.

To test the unoccupied/PTO ON kill circuit on this tractor - unplug the seat switch, sit on the seat, (safety first) start the tractor & engage the PTO, engine should stay running. If it stays running, inspect the seat switch to make sure that it opens when you sit on the seat.

If the seat switch does open when occupied then check to see if the wire is grounded out between the seat switch and the PTO switch. Please repair this circuit properly.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Achto

@Daniel_Heetderks

Just wondering if you made any progress on this issue?

953 nut

:WRS:

Take a look at the wiring going to the seat switch to be sure it is connected or shorted out to the body of the tractor.

• Like 1

Daniel_Heetderks
1 hour ago, Achto said:

@Daniel_Heetderks

Just wondering if you made any progress on this issue?

I found out that the seat switch was disconnected, so i re-wired that and put it back under the seat but it didn't make contact with the underside of the seat. For now i have it sticking out of the shifter panel and i have to hold it with my hand while mowing😂

• Like 3