lumbert scott

PTO switch

lumbert scott

Hi everyone, It's been awhile since I have been here. Just picked up another horse, this one I believe is a 1979   I discovered last night when I engage lever to use snowblower,engine shuts down

I'm sure it;s the switch above the lever, I can't find one, How can I bypass it ?  It;s similar to the seat switch  I did figure out that it is tied to the start circut 

Thank you 

Edited by lumbert scott
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Sounds like the seat switch is not closing with operator in the seat if it is the tractor I'm thinking about but that has nothing to do with the starter.

• Like 3

Achto

:text-yeahthat:

If the seat switch is open then the engine will quit when you engage the PTO. This is to keep you from injuring your self while implements are running.

Edited by Achto

953 nut

Your PTO switch is a two part switch, half of the switch is tied to the ignition system via the seat switch to prevent the engine from running while the PTO is on if the operator leaves the seat (could save your life so don't remove it).

The other half is tied to the start circuit via the neutral/clutch switch to stop you from starting the engine with the additional load of a mower deck, snow blower, tiller or whatever implement you are using.

The switch is located near the battery and over the years battery acid fumes from the battery being charged may have caused enough corrosion to cause a bad connection. Remove the battery and clean and tighten the wire connectors.

• Like 2

lumbert scott

Well, PO did not have seat switch wired up, fixed that and all is good, Thanks guys  !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1