Tony D64

312-8 intermittent hot start issue

Tony D64

I have 1990 312-8.    Starts when cold but I shut it off and it won’t start.    Had no power to the relay.. so I tried changing the ignition switch.   Same problem.   Can it be the relay ????

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Don't buy any more parts until you know what part needs to be replaced.

The symptoms you are telling us about are usually caused by bad connections. Remove and clean all battery cables including grounds and the cable from the solenoid to the starter, clean and tighten both ends of all of them.

Also could be a battery that needs a bit of help, take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested.

• Like 2

Rick3478
9 minutes ago, Tony D64 said:

I have 1990 312-8.    Starts when cold but I shut it off and it won’t start.    Had no power to the relay.. so I tried changing the ignition switch.   Same problem.   Can it be the relay ????

First thing that comes to mind that might become heat sensitive is the oil sentry sensor.  And of course I'm assuming you actually have enough oil in the engine.

• Confused 1

953 nut

Here is an explanation of the problems that can be caused by corrosion on electrical connections that was provided by @Save Old Iron

The  connectors used in this tractor series are in a harsh, corrosive environment caused by vapors from the battery being charged over a few decades.. Vibration causes the connections to loosen - corrosion starts within the metal terminals and a voltage drop develops across the corrosion.

If you have a 10 amp current flowing across a 1 ohm resistance (contact corrosion) the electronics formula to calculate power = current squared times resistance

so 10 amps x 10amps x 1 ohm resistance = 100 watts !!

100 watts of connector heating is the same as laying a 100 watt soldering iron on the connector.

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Wrong thread for this issue. This is for battery powered electric tractors... might get more attention in electrical section...?

Mods?

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Tony D64 said:

Starts when cold but I shut it off and it won’t start.

Does the starter turn it over when hot?

oldlineman

If it is a K model kohler may be a bad coil that is overheating after some use. We need more info like year. Sorry, I see it is a 1990 so would be a Magnum I believe no coil. Probably a loose connection as 953 Nut has stated above. Bob

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1