CK_wh

Blowing fuse, just *after* start

CK_wh

HI.  I keep blowing a fuse, just shortly after I get it started.  I replaced the starter and solenoid to address another issue.  It's a 7.5a fuse.  It's an 8-25.  Ideas?

• Like 1

peter lena

@CK_wh  basically electrical issues are based on  hand off of electrical flow , chaffed / cracked wire , corrosion , electrical plug in connections are notorious for failures , look over every connection , including starter switch plug on , tight dried wiring , often shorts out  , have a test light ?  others will also add advise, pete 

gwest_ca

Do you know the model number of your tractor? Would like to look at a wiring diagram

953 nut

:WRS:

Looking at the wiring diagram for your mower there is more than one 7.5 amp fuse. Take a look at these diagrams to see which one it is.

CK_wh

The model is a 70044.  The wiring diagrams look about right, though the wire colors appear to be off.  I have green and orange going into the low voltage side of the soleniod.  I'm going to have to trace the wires back and make sure that things match -- thanks for posting the wiring diagram.  It's strange, though.  The fuse blows anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes after I start it. 

CK_wh

So, the fuse that's blowing, has one red wire in one side, and two red wires in the other.  The other one has the blue wire, so I'm assuming the circuit that's blowing is the one with the seat switch, neutral switch, and the pto switch. What does the pto switch do?

gwest_ca

See if this wiring is closer. A serial number would confirm.

953 nut
3 hours ago, CK_wh said:

So, the fuse that's blowing, has one red wire in one side, and two red wires in the other.  The other one has the blue wire, so I'm assuming the circuit that's blowing is the one with the seat switch, neutral switch, and the pto switch. What does the pto switch do?

The fuse with red wires connects the battery to the ignition switch "B" terminal.

I don't own your model mower but suspect that your mower blades are controlled by an electric clutch.

11 hours ago, CK_wh said:

I keep blowing a fuse, just shortly after I get it started

When your ignition switch is in the RUN position The battery, ignition and accessory wires are connected by the switch. In the START position the battery, ignition and start wires are connected by the switch. The only difference is the accessory wire is receiving battery voltage when in the run position therefore the problem lies somewhere in the PINK accessory wire that goes to the seat switch and parking brake. Check the wires that go to these components to see that the insulation is good and the connections at the safety switches are tight and no corrosion exists.

999482400_Screenshot(91).png.e983faa8ff55cc779d48f1f060e1d911.png   

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

1999 8-25 p4-10.jpg

CK_wh

thank you gwestca.  I think I might know where the problem, is now.

gwest_ca

CK_wh

Thanks, everyone.  Figured it out.  It was the seat sensor.

• Thanks 1