grinchsr

Correct Extractor Tool

grinchsr

Which tool do I need to buy to release these contacts so I can clean them up and replace the holder.   See pics

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

Usually a small blade screwdriver will release the spring clip on the connector. Slide it between the plastic holder and connector by the little slot that kinda looks like the short "T" base. I would get new connectors as well, though. It looks like it got really hot and cooked the connectors. They should be available wherever you got the holder. Then just cut it loose leaving enough wire color as a guide.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

gwest_ca

A 3/32" cotter pin opened up works well.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

If the housing is shot anyway, I use a Dremel plastic cutting wheel to disassemble it :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Red-Bovine said:

I would get new connectors as well, though. It looks like it got really hot and cooked the connectors

I'll second that. 

Also figure out WHY that happened. ... And fix that.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pacer
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

WHY that happened. ... And fix that.

Very likely that dang Ammeter set up contributed to it.

Yeah, on the removing --- a common small flat blade screw driver, like you would carry in your shirt pocket. Slip it in the end where the wires go in and where the small 'notch' is - press firmly to depress the 'tab' that holds the wire in place.

You can get that housing ..... some place, I bought 10 of them several yrs ago (was going thru them like crazy til I started getting rid of the ammeter) and still have several, but, I cant recall where I got em!!:(

• Like 1

grinchsr

This connector is on a 416H.  It holds the start relay and it was still working which is surprising 

• Like 1

lynnmor

Google weatherproof relay and you will find numerous kits available that will keep the connections clean and dry.  Some have pigtails while others have individual contacts to be crimped on your wires.  The factory relays are just too vulnerable to all kinds of damage.

• Like 1

grinchsr

Thanks for all the great replies 

• Like 1

953 nut

Any good auto parts store will have the Packard 56 terminal blocks in stock. You may want to replace both halves. Probably a buck or two each.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAqHViBqIBhI75xY0Nvtnr4tPbNjNn4UuPt5mct6AYzsZCv-O1F3js-UdXaYyubwTz4YCCsnfJF4f5thvyP40e3vcUyzkdCgI_jfSD0z8O&usqp=CAE  shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVLx8FBwGNxG7YZ9w-U5pe_X659eTN-yi1gJxEnfeXzBy1lHCJz9vbPsAAC8ja8JFSTKbHWfPx9zxdbdr19NbkFz-XQb7GPA&usqp=CAE

squonk

That was caused by dirt and poor connection creating heat. Not an ammeter somewhere else on the tractor. 

• Excellent 2

grinchsr

I.agree just ordered a socket repair kit from A Z.  I will be cleaning every connection. 

Jayzauto

There are terminal removal tools available at the online sales houses... nice sets with screwdriver handles, priced accordingly to the style and amount of tools.

But for the average one time use, you can use an old windshield wiper blade.....remember wipers that you could remove the wiper blades from the wiper frame?   Such as early 80's GM products?  Remove the wiper blade and slide out the 2 long stiffeners along the sides of the blades.... Those are the perfect size to remove those terminals...  I know, how many have you thrown away over the years?  Even a new one is only a few bux.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144530067470?hash=item21a6a9d00e:g:bgEAAOSw77libCdq&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8O9jf6r4NbYHvh075m%2BBMzjvNQm6Sb36bhCDTimN1i1Rxl9k9b8nu6IER6qqp7nj98%2BEUBadQ0y%2FbR6qY2FWbc7raOLDzJ%2BkloR4obcfH7jEqGUVh3V2W57%2Fbj7MUx4UPguElBR5pJ7UJjhkrFpiQBP7ueax%2F1TV25sUYOfUaQ1wRkbANILvdqoW3TxtOYMdNoFUjRspgk0cGegTc7YIZ8HKKNsLkh0O6MX3nWDYd8yPNBSpxsB9moPfX9CWpC%2FJQ6N%2BD2GqXVsmXdPSmlt7%2B%2BtAZJ6E4akURyQ7guDqt1AV4Ue%2BWYmVECrilEXC3HREUA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMtMvo_f9g

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402466408578?hash=item5db4de0882:g:TPwAAOSw171fdFFJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0CcYcJCClIx%2Fgu87PQ%2FCe9jXs%2BsISnmbCBHv6OA0wAXAtjfQtjUm1m4fzhAQEMbud1d6xZq%2BvnNDD7jqGwzOh4OQOYN3NHWAbKTqFFvWB7EW4aKJX3vWhZaSdfGfPWx5%2Fcmk0GX4wb4cNMvIGj7iyTQCl%2FRzr7%2FRabQkh8LdyivViwm5Ep9PKCRUQ0jHk3LK2fmUbs%2FJ0pRyC%2ByXAmqL%2FjGJoNVlMuONmjtHeTVaSwe4zXSOrf%2BM9bwRJsAmsSiMNCcEI5V%2FdGWhecA154QILOA%3D|tkp%3ABlBMULTL6P3_YA

GLuck, Jay