Sled Man

Ignition Switch Replacement

Sled Man

I replaced my ignition switch due to the lack of a key for the old switch.  The Arnold switch from Home Depot doesnt work as it doesnt provide power to the coil when starting.  I can jump from the battery to the coil and start it that way.  Does anyone know the model number for the switch that I do need?  

Edited by Sled Man
  • Like 1

lynnmor

You would need to tell us the model of your tractor.  If the old switch is OK, the keys are the same for nearly all models and are as common as dirt.

• Like 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, Sled Man said:

The Arnold switch from Home Depot doesnt work 

Strike one ... any thing you get from home cheapo ain't a gonna work...:lol:

Since yer a newbie gonna cut ya some slack. I got four dozen keys I woulda sent ya for the price of a stamp. 

Talk to us before you spend anything. 

These horses no matter the model are our passion. Well ... maybe a few verticals aside... :) but even then... 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

You most likely have a switch that has an "M" terminal on it. This is for a magneto ignition that grounds out the coil to kill the engine. If you have a magneto ignition and the switch is configured wrong, it may send power to the coil and destroy it. 

If you have an automotive style coil on the tractor, you will need a switch with an "I" terminal. This is for a battery ignition coil that sends positive power to the coil to run. Again you need to pat attention to how the terminals are configured. If the new switch is configured differently than the old one, you can move the terminals on the plug to make it work.

5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

If the old switch is OK, the keys are the same for nearly all models and are as common as dirt.

:text-yeahthat: A tractor that is newer than 1968 will have an Indak switch from the factory. Very common key used on tractors. If it is older that 1968 it will have a Cole Hersey key, not as common but still available. If your tractor is older with a starter/generator then you will need to use a Cole Hersey switch that has a 60amp starting circuit or add a starter relay.

• Excellent 2

Achto

@Sled Man

This switch will work for an automotive style battery ignition.

https://www.amazon.com/Stens-430-249-Replaces-AM103286-03115200/dp/B0015MIFBI/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=indak+switch&qid=1665571181&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0Ljg1IiwicXNhIjoiNC4yNiIsInFzcCI6IjMuODQifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-26

This switch will work for a magneto ignition.

https://www.amazon.com/Stens-430-249-Replaces-AM103286-03115200/dp/B0015MIFBI/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=indak+switch&qid=1665571181&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0Ljg1IiwicXNhIjoiNC4yNiIsInFzcCI6IjMuODQifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-26

You may have to reconfigure the plug to match the new switch. Also remember that if this is a tractor older that 1968 you will need to add a starter solenoid into the start circuit.

If your tractor is pre '68 and you want a direct replacement, this will be the correct switch.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/4988-7263-starter-generator-key-switch/

953 nut

Not all Wheel Horses are wired alike. It is important to use the model number of your tractor when doing anything involving electrical repairs. Unfortunately the five pin wiring connector that will fit the correct ignition switch will also fit on a dozen or more incorrect switches.

What year and horsepower :wh: are you working on? There should be a tag with a "Model Number" on it. Depending on the year of manufacture this tag could under the seat or on the dash tower someplace. It is important to know the model because there have been a variety of ignition switches used over the years. Just because the information printed on the package says it will fit a Toro/Wheel horse doesn't mean it will be correct for YOUR Wheel Horse.

Sled Man

This is the tractor.  It has a K181 in it.  Unfortunately someone else had the tractor prior to me and the dash panel and the panel covering the starter solenoid have been replaced with diamond plate so any information from that is lost.  Like I said it does have a starter solenoid.  i am going to see if I have the old ignition still but afraid it got tossed.  

IMG_9414.jpg

Edited by Sled Man
Missed information
  • Like 1

WHX??

A custom B-80? I see a points cover and possibly a coil in front. Battery ignition?

Can you put up one of those nice wiring diagrams you have for him Richard? 

Nice paint! 

• Thanks 1

Sled Man
9 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

A custom B-80? I see a points cover and possibly a coil in front. Battery ignition?

Can you put up one of those nice wiring diagrams you have for him Richard? 

Nice paint! 

Yes it has a coil, points, and condensor (all new since the photo).  

IMG_9229.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

Kohler engine with battery ignition and a solenoid, now we are talkin! A 103-990 ignition switch and the wiring shown below should do the trick for you. Your charging system may or may not be present since this is a pulling tractor and depending on the engine's age. Lots of dealers on :techie-ebay: sell the 103-990 switch or any Stens Dealer like https://a-ztractor.com/ can sell them. Your local mower shop probably has them.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

• Excellent 2

WHX??

Yes pullers usually have no need for a charging circuit. Most just use a jump pack to get her running and fly down the track on a well charged battery. 

Double check your coil ..points/condenser wiring. 

Edited by WHX??

Sled Man
25 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yes pullers usually have no need for a charging circuit. Most just use a jump pack to get her running and fly down the track on a well charged battery. 

Double check your coil ..points/condenser wiring. 

I am 95% sure its the ignition as if I put a jumper between the battery and coil I can get it to start and then I can remove the jumper and it stays running.  The ignition gives 12 volts to the coil when on but not when starting. 

• Like 1

Achto

Yep, sounds like the terminal on the switch is not maintaining power while in the start position. Check the other terminals on the switch & see if one of them does have power during start. The "I" terminal should have power in the start position.

Edited by Achto

Sled Man
On 10/12/2022 at 7:51 AM, 953 nut said:

Kohler engine with battery ignition and a solenoid, now we are talkin! A 103-990 ignition switch and the wiring shown below should do the trick for you. Your charging system may or may not be present since this is a pulling tractor and depending on the engine's age. Lots of dealers on :techie-ebay: sell the 103-990 switch or any Stens Dealer like https://a-ztractor.com/ can sell them. Your local mower shop probably has them.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

Finally got time to replace the ignition and this fixed it.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 2