AHS

M16 not charging

AHS

I got the M16 fired up for the first time and it runs great!! But.. I have 0 volts coming out of my stator. I have heard the magnets will come unglued from the stator and stick to the flywheel? My motor tin is bolted on tight, and I don’t wanna break any bolts! Oh.. what to do leave it alone and not run the lights OR replace the stator?

ebinmaine

Does that engine need an input voltage?

IIFF you try to remove the engine sheet metal remember to TIGHTEN every bolt before you loosen them.  

If you want to use the lights you can just keep the battery charged every day or two.  

953 nut
2 hours ago, AHS said:

I have 0 volts coming out of my stator.

Should be 36 volts AC between the two outer terminals if you have a voltage regulator built into the flywheel cover.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@AHS  ever verify the engine grounding ?  no matter how much you tighten the  stator down to the engine sheet metal , if the engine to chassis ground is not solid it can't pick up your stator  grounding ,  try this first , get an alligator  clip test wire  , run it from the battery ground bolt point , next to battery , to the  stator  mounting bolts . personally never count on original ground points , corrosion , paint frayed wires , since using that battery ground point , and adding electrical lugs  on ground points my electrical issues are gone . easy to try , would not be surprised if  the stator bolt  point has no grounding going to it  , pete   

• Excellent 1

AHS
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Should be 36 volts AC between the two outer terminals if you have a voltage regulator built into the flywheel cover.

Yep, I have 0

AHS
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Does that engine need an input voltage?

IIFF you try to remove the engine sheet metal remember to TIGHTEN every bolt before you loosen them.  

If you want to use the lights you can just keep the battery charged every day or two.  

yes, tighten before you loosen. And some kind of penetrating lubricant. The motor starts, so it heats up….. so should I let it heat up before taking off any bolts? Use a torch?

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, AHS said:

yes, tighten before you loosen. And some kind of penetrating lubricant. The motor starts, so it heats up….. so should I let it heat up before taking off any bolts? Use a torch?

The most important couple of bolts are the ones that screw into the cylinder head which is aluminum.

You want to tighten those just a tiny bit. Loosen just a tiny bit. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Usually they'll start to back right out at that point.

GOOD Penetrating oil certainly won't hurt anything.

Everybody has their favorites but I'm not a fan of PB blaster. IMHO that's a snake oil. Doesn't do much if anything at all. WD-40 in its original form is also not a penetrating oil. They do make a great penetrating oil that is marketed as such.

As long as you are not near any plastic or fiber gasket type stuff a torch certainly won't hurt either.

• Like 2

953 nut
58 minutes ago, AHS said:

Yep, I have 0

First use an Ohm Meter to check the condition of the wires. The stator is basically one long continuous insulated wire wound around a series of iron cores. That wire should not be grounded at any point. With the engine not running and the 3 wire plug disconnected from the voltage regulator check both wires to ground. There should be no continuity to ground. If that is good an ohm meter connected to both ends of the stator will read about 1 to 2 ohms between the two outer terminals of the voltage regulator plug with it disconnected.

If you don't get these readings it may be time to dive in behind the engine tins to see if a wire is broken or grounded.

• Like 4

AHS
On 10/10/2022 at 7:21 AM, 953 nut said:

First use an Ohm Meter to check the condition of the wires. The stator is basically one long continuous insulated wire wound around a series of iron cores. That wire should not be grounded at any point. With the engine not running and the 3 wire plug disconnected from the voltage regulator check both wires to ground. There should be no continuity to ground. If that is good an ohm meter connected to both ends of the stator will read about 1 to 2 ohms between the two outer terminals of the voltage regulator plug with it disconnected.

If you don't get these readings it may be time to dive in behind the engine tins to see if a wire is broken or grounded.

Ok. Good to know! I have to take an ohm meter and check ground continuity between all different points!