Sparky

Heavier weight oil?

Sparky

Draining the tranny on my 308-8 and all I have on the shelf here is 85w-140. Always tell people to use 80w-90…but is there any reason to not use this stuff? This tractor will see winter use and is not a summer mowing machine only. 

F2050B95-B41D-424B-9FA1-727899F9FD5B.jpeg

882AD788-1C84-4479-93BB-D00CE670ED4B.jpeg

• Like 1

Skwerl58

I used what I had when I changed mine last year. Mine looked a lot like yours. I noticed that a whine I had was gone after changing the tranny oil. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Looks like you had a little water in that oil.  :eusa-think:  You should be fine with the 85W-140.  Just let it run a few minutes in winter before starting out.  We don't usually get snow when it is below zero degrees, so it seems like we don't use the horse in really cold weather.  I know it is usually teens to twenties when I get snow I need to move.  :occasion-snowman:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

The 140 is hot weather temp rating. All you really need to worry about is the 85 # 

Kindly send $25 via PayPal for this Tid Bit! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

peter lena

@Sparky   how is that shift boot ?   thats the real moisture culprit , regularly check my  trans dip stick , also  like 85x  120  gear oil . also give it some road time before draining  , use ever gear and hi / low range  .  also add  STA -BIL  to all my fuels , no issues . pete

Sparky
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Sparky   how is that shift boot ?   thats the real moisture culprit..

It was shot! My tractors never get left outside overnight and definitely never left out in the rain. 
  New boot already installed. 
  FYI…I have no idea what happened to the hi/low shifter in this tractors past :wacko:

3C33D457-6987-4C20-8569-FBB30C543982.jpeg

BE4E0476-ED27-41B0-91E6-694E187F826D.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

squonk
1 minute ago, Sparky said:

FYI…I have no idea what happened to the hi/low shifter in this tractors past :wacko:

BE4E0476-ED27-41B0-91E6-694E187F826D.jpeg

I would say it broke! 

Kindly send another $25 via Pay Pal! :lol:

• Haha 8

peter lena

@Sparky  think that shifter  needs a grind down and a touch up , also notice your  cross  shaft bushing connection ? dry or oily ?  the linkage points , can be enhanced  with washers and lubrication , thats a very common  w/h issue to lever / linkage response , mine used to be like that . pete 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I have no idea what happened to the hi/low shifter in this tractors past

Looks like that thing got in a fight with one of the worst welders of all time... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like that thing got in a fight with one of the worst welders of all time... 

Not quite Eric. I've never touched that shifter. Maybe the 2nd worst! :banana-wrench:

• Haha 4

Sparky

All I know is she shifts into and outa Hi/Low so it’s not getting fiddled with. 
  Can’t remember the last time I needed low range with the 308 :eusa-think:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Just put a linen tag on it that says "It wasn't me."  Get another shifter at the show and hang that one on the wall. 

I wonder how it got broke???  Probably by the same guy that welded that??   The new boot sure makes that weld job stand out, maybe tape the old boot around the new one.  :banana-dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JoeM

On a couple of redo shift bangers, in addition to a new shifter boot, placed a heavy o-ring on the hi/lo shaft to keep out moisture.

34866502_StdTransminssionHiLoshaftsealoring1.jpg.66ce80b6365218b5896dc291462a6562.jpg1265156833_StdTransminssionHiLoshaftsealoring2.jpg.b698ced028885e394507487fe438f496.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

I'm with Joe and I know Aldon is too...might not help Joe but can't hurt.  

20170217_153123.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@JoeM   @WHX??  agree with at o ring add on , typically there is no area on my horses that has not been , changed / improved on a chronic issue .  along with  the transmission area , there is a very good opportunity to  upgrade / improve related idler pulley failure issues . tractor supply usually has the same size  / type  Flat or V pulleys in stock , but with a much larger bearing , with wide grease shields . bronze bushing insert down to 3/8 " ID makes for exact replacement , pop off grease shields , wipe out ,carb cleaner flush re grease with lucas red or green  HI TEMP GREASE , tell me how much better that is , also lubricate every related lever linkage point , just an idea while you are in the area , did that on my 3 horses , no noise , no binding , just smooth / silent / easy . pete   

• Like 2

WHX??

Holy schmolly Sparky just caught this.  Ya know what it was... a PO wasn't smart enough to drive the role pin out out or back the tranny when lowering it. Tells me someone separated the tranny from frame at one time. That pin can be a :bitch:to get out with tranny in frame so he just cut it and farmer welded it. 

BE4E0476-ED27-41B0-91E6-694E187F826D.jpeg.1f7d8dffeda1a2b8429a29aa4debf276.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Sparky
40 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Holy schmolly Sparky just caught this.  Ya know what it was... a PO wasn't smart enough to drive the role pin out out or back the tranny when lowering it. Tells me someone separated the tranny from frame at one time. That pin can be a :bitch:to get out with tranny in frame so he just cut it and farmer welded it. 

Huh…you just might be into something! 

• Like 1

JoeM
On 10/8/2022 at 7:45 PM, WHX?? said:

I'm with Joe and I know Aldon is too

Great minds do think alike! :eusa-think:

• Like 1

squonk

Not farmer welded. No bailing wire to be found. Looks more like a redneck weld with a coat hanger!