Sign in to follow this  
paulk68

NEW GUY LOOKING AT A 310-8

paulk68

Hello everyone, i am new to the site and looking at my first tractor. i am looking at a wheel horse 310-8. i went and looked at it and it looks liek a pretty good machine with a charge of the battery it fired up and did not smoke or make any funny noises that i could tell. it had a could thing that concerned me, the cluch grabbed really really high, is that normal? it was pretty much at the top. also the handle that lowered the deck was really sloppy and loose it seemd like it did not want lock into it's positions? is that a big deal? and third the height adjustment on the deck was really sloppy it seemed like it might just be the spring or something. they are asking 500 for it and it comes with a snow plow and a kind of beat up cart. is this a good choice?

thanks guys

Paul

stevebo

Paul,

those items you described are not a big deal just needs a little tinkering which we can help you understand how to do it. the plow is a plus. make sure you take the deck off and look under it to see the condition of the spindles and the housings as they can be expensive to replace. what size deck is it and is it side or rear discharge? I would offer $350 but go up to $450 if you really want it. The 310 is a nice machine however it is not a steal at 500. just my 2 cents..

Duff

Good morning, Paul, and :thumbs: ! Glad to have you among us!

EDIT: ...and good morning, Stevebo! You and I were typing simultaneously, it seems! :ychain:

The 310-8 is a very solid, dependable machine, easy to work on, and parts are still readily available for it. On the fender pan just to the [driver's] left, there should be a sticker with some numbers on it. One of the numbers should look something like 2110K806, or something close to it. If you can give us this number we can decipher the year of manufacture for you.

The high clutch you describe sounds like the main drive belt is in need of replacement (likely), the clutch linkage is way out of adjustment (possible), or the clutch tensioner pulley is worn out (also possible). None of these is too a big deal. Does the machine have a working hour meter, and if so, what are the hours on it?

The lift handle being "loose" is normal, if by "loose" you mean that the up-down travel is pretty much unrestricted. On these machines, at least for the deck, there are only two positions - all the way up for traveling and all the way down for mowing. The height adjustment on the deck is entirely a function of the setting on the rear wheels. If the machine has an [optional] lift travel control, usually used with a grader blade or other implements, then there would be a mid-travel "stop", but otherwise the handle will pretty much run free from all the way up to all the way down. The only locking would be at the top-most range of the travel and if the deck lift assembly is not properly adjusted, it may not be allowing the deck to lift high enough to "catch" in the up position. This, too, is easily remedied.

Now if the "loose and sloppy" you speak of is lateral (side to side) play, chances are one or both of the bushings the lift arm passes through in the dash tower has worn out, but this would be somewhat unusual.

Without knowing which deck is on the machine, I can't offer any ideas about the deck height adjustment. There should be a tag on the deck somewhere with a set of numbers that may look something like "0537SC01" or something similar. If you can give us these numbers we may be able to get you some answers on that problem.

Now as to the price.....that's a hard call since the guys here have widely varying (and legitimate, I might add) opinions on what someone should pay for a tractor. If the machine is in really good shape - straight sheet metal, no significant rusting, decent tires, and the transmission is quiet and fully functional, then with a deck, snow blade and trailer I personally would spring for the $500, but I'd offer the seller $400 first and dicker up from there.

Ask the seller to let you drive the machine around to check the transmission and since you're new to Wheel Horse, one important tip: be sure the machine is completely stopped, the transmission is in neutral and the clutch fully depressed before shifting from low to high range and back. These transmissions are pretty "bomb proof", but their Achilles heel is the tendency to bend shift forks if you change ranges without stopping and putting the tranny in neutral. Don't force the range selector - feather it gently between ranges.

I'll look forward to how you make out, or if you have other questions. And I'm just one of many guys with some expereince with the 300-series tractors. There are others with a whole lot more knowledge and experience who I hope will jump in here shortly!

Good luck!

Duff :thumbs2:

IthacaJeff

Hi Paul:

My first WH was (and still is) a 310-8. It was really beat up when I got it, and

it is still beat up. After removing the gas tank to clean it out, replacing the

fuel lines and filter (easy, and just a few bucks), and cleaning out the carb,

it has run great for the past 5 years. I had some starting/ignition problems

solved by hot-wiring at first, then finding a broken fuse.

My deck failed my second mowing season. Massive stress cracks on the deck

radiating out from the center mandrel hole, which is not uncommon in WH decks

as I've found. Since then I've just used it for plowing and it does a remarkably

good job for a little 10 hp motor. I've abused the 310-8 with driveway grading

and pushing around dirt, but it keeps going. One thing, your plow will be useless

unless you get chains for the rear wheels.

The play in the deck lift seems like normal wear and tear, and I'd listen closely

to the advice from the other RedSquare folks regarding the clutch and tranny.

That all said, I would not pay $500 unless it was in REALLY good condition, and the

mower deck showing no problem areas. I got my tractor, with a heavy duty

cart, for $150 about 5 years ago from the husband of a colleague at work.

Another $125 for chains and a plow from a member here (Frank in WNY). Pirated

a seat off an old Murray tractor. Paid about $14 for a choke cable.

I just paid $280 for a seriouly beat up 416-8. Put in $100 for a used cylinder head,

gasket, and new battery. Will probably put in another $100 or so on a seat and

some body parts. So, I'm close to the $500 mark for a stouter and more powerful

WH with a very desireable 48" deck in solid shape.

Finally . . . once you have it you won't regret it!

Jeff in Ithaca

bitten

:thumbs2:

hodge

Welcome to Redsquare!

I wouldn't pay that much for a 310, not because it isn't worth it, but because they are pretty common, and I got mine for $150.

Saying that, in other areas, and through other means (like Ebay and Craigslist), they run much higher than $500.

So, if you read around on this forum, you will see the advice posted again and again- only you, and the seller, can decide what it is worth. If you think that $500 is fair to you, go for it. You could certainly end up spending more on one, if you chose to.

But, if it isn't worth that much to you, wait. There are better deals to be had, if you are patient, educated, and prudent. Either way, there will be plenty of help on this board for any questions, advice, or wisdom needed.

Good luck to you, and once you make a purchase, you will be hooked!

qd-16

Hi Paul,

I paid $375 for my 310 about three years ago. It was in really good shape with a 36" deck in equally good shape. Also included in the sale was a barely used snow plow, tire chains and all the manuals.

The only thing mine needed was a new seat. I felt this was a good buy because of the shape it was in as well as the attachments. Good luck! :thumbs2:

Fire_rescue_18

I paid 700 for mine and have worked on it constantly since I bought it. So 50 to me seems like a deal to keep me from feeling sooooo foolish!! :thumbs2:

kpinnc

My 310-8 was my first tractor, and is easily my favorite. Not because it does anything special, but because it is ALWAYS ready to go, always runs great, and is capable of most anything I throw at it. Took a bit of time to get her like I wanted, but it was worth it:

muledrive198-1.jpg

It is a solid, yet simple machine. I say go for it!

Trust me, after spending all day working on my 518-H, and accomplishing nothing, tractors like my 310-8 are precious gems... :thumbs2:

Kevin