F. Marra 17

Transmission Leak in NJ

F. Marra 17

Good Morning all,

I have a late 90's 414-8 that i use regularly around my yard and attach a snowblower for the winter months.  The tranny has been leaking oil from the seals and has gotten worse.  Does anyone know where I can bring the tractor to have the trans inspected and re-sealed in the NJ area? I am located in central NJ.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

oliver2-44

Give this place a call. He’s outside of the Annandale area
MJ Lawn Mower and Engine Repairs

Ph:908-832-7242

456 County.Road 513

New Jersey

If it just needs seals they can be replaced without opening the transmission. However, if it’s leaking from the axle seals there is a good possibility the axle bearings will need to be replaced which requires the transmission to be opened up. There is a simple check you can do to see if the axle bearings need replacement. Jack up the rear of the tractor and remove the tire. Wipe off the seal area where the the axle comes out of the transmission. Try to move the axle hub up an down and side to side. If you see more than a tiny tiny bit of movement between the axle and seal the bearings need replacement. 

If you are a little bit mechanical and have basic tools we can walk you replacing the input shaft and brake shaft seal. You can borrow a puller from many auto supplies. The seals can be gotten from one of our vendors “Wheelhorse Parts and More” 

The axle seals require the hubs to be pulled and this can be and easy to very difficult job. It’s also easy to break the hub flange if you use the wrong type of puller.

Send is some pictures of the leaking areas. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3

F. Marra 17

@Oliver2-44

Thank you for the information.  I called them and they said I can bring it in anytime.

I am a little bit mechanical and have a fairly loaded tool chest, but unfortuntalty between work and 2 kids under the age of 2, my time in the garage is very limited!  I appreciate all the help and will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks,

Frank

• Heart 1

ri702bill

Frank - sometimes the axle seal leak has a silver lining along with the cloud. Gear oil is not the best penetration fluid, but enough of it over time can make the hub removal easier, occasionally, downright easy! Should also inspect the input and brake shaft seals as well, they are all the same age....

Bill

• Like 2

F. Marra 17
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Frank - sometimes the axle seal leak has a silver lining along with the cloud. Gear oil is not the best penetration fluid, but enough of it over time can make the hub removal easier, occasionally, downright easy! Should also inspect the input and brake shaft seals as well, they are all the same age....

Bill

Thanks for the tips, as far as I know, nothing but basic maintenance has been done on the machine. oil changes and batteries etc.  I mistyped this morning and said late 90's but actually menat to type 80's.  I inherited the machine from my father, and the original sales reciept says purchased new in 88.  besadies the transmission leak the tractor still runs strong with the kohler magnum 14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

Probably time for a #3977 shifter dust boot too - helps keep the water out of the Unidrive - the shifter act like a wick...

Good advise from Oliver above - if the bearings are bad, the seal becomes the victim, not the source of the problem...

• Like 1

oliver2-44
5 hours ago, F. Marra 17 said:

@Oliver2-44

Thank you for the information.  I called them and they said I can bring it in anytime.

It,s a small world we live in.
Im actually from Central Texas but my  son married a nice gal from there. Spotted MJ,s when I was up there for the wedding. He had quite a few true garden tractors in his yard and some parts tractors. Now when my son go to visit his in-laws. I give MJ a call to see if he has any used parts I need.   Sadly he scrapped a lot of his parts machines the last time I talked to him. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1