Wheelhorse#1

Head gasket

Wheelhorse#1

Are the old style head gaskets like this one reusable ?Looks as though the ridges are still there.

7183CB58-4D64-47FF-8B83-694E61FE3BB2.jpeg

1E0D49A0-D746-4091-BCEE-90A1651442A4.jpeg

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

They look good to me 

Pullstart

They aren’t supposed to be, but I have with a light coat of some copper RTV in the past… just to see how long it’ll last.  Still kickin’!

• Like 2

pacer

I often reuse them, especially when they look as good as that one.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Copper spray on gasket sealer and run it. If it leaks buy another. Easy job why not? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1

Thanks.Im going through a k181 and this is what it had on it.I had bought a couple of those cheap aftermarket gasket's,I don't like them.Seem to made of some kind of thin foil and something els, maybe graphite ?   

Jeff-C175

I would examine it almost microscopically.  I found this on one that I changed yesterday on a K301:

image.png.22ab95da55f2e0dbfafd1873c0d542e2.png

Appears I caught it just before it blew out completely.  Looks like it was already leaking.

Not sure if this was a 'stock' gasket, but it did not appear that the head had ever been removed.

(It's weird that the paper towel it's sitting on is dimpled just like the gasket!  Maybe I could use the paper towels? :text-lol::text-imsorry:)

If'n ya axe me, it looks like yours may have been leaking a wee bit already too... what did it look like before you cleaned it up?

image.png.1a73c862f7336faeed54ce162e2bebb0.png

I asked this in another thread... since you have the head off, is there a steel threaded insert for the spark plug?  The 301 I just did has one and I was wondering if all the Kohlers have that or not.  If it was a repair job, it's possible that this is not the original gasket.

If you do go with a replacement, make sure that you get one that has the 'fire ring', which is the metal folded edge on the 'business' edge of the gasket.  I don't think you can find the style that you have any longer.

You're going to 'flatten' the head before reinstalling, yes?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 2

squonk

Koehler did not use spark plug inserts and the fire ring is only available on big block engines now unless you can find a NOS small block gasket that's been on a shelf for a while.

• Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1

@Jeff-C175Cool pix !  I did notice some carbon right where your arrow is pointing on the exsaust side, top of cylinder, a couple head bolts were loose figured it was possibly from that.

The gasket is most likely not original but its got to be old school, back when things weren't made so cheaply.I probly should buy new but I figure Id run it and see.

I plan to flatten the head tomorrow.Putting new piston and rings in it as well as gaskets and seals.Supposed to rain all day here, time to spend some time in the shop :tools-hammer: 

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

@Jeff-C175Cool pix !  I did notice some carbon right where your arrow is pointing on the exsaust side, top of cylinder, a couple head bolts were loose figured it was possibly from that.

The gasket is most likely not original but its got to be old school, back when things weren't made so cheaply.I probly should buy new but I figure Id run it and see.

I plan to flatten the head tomorrow.Putting new piston and rings in it as well as gaskets and seals.Supposed to rain all day here, time to spend some time in the shop :tools-hammer: 

I agree with the others that you really have nothing to lose if the gasket doesn't hold.  Takes about a half hour to change a head gasket.

I might be a little concerned that the loose head bolts may have warped the head.  You should be able to tell when you flatten it.

Rain here too of course.  Hopefully not much wind.

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

the head

Is there a steel insert in the spark plug hole?

Cee245

How do you flatten the head?  Is this a home trick or are you talking about milling the head flat from a machine shop?

Jeff-C175
42 minutes ago, Cee245 said:

How do you flatten the head?  Is this a home trick or are you talking about milling the head flat from a machine shop?

I use a thick piece of glass, actually an old refrigerator shelf.  To that I tape a piece of sandpaper. I usually start with 320 grit.

Put the head on the paper and move it in a 'figure eight' pattern.

After the first few passes, look at the surface and you can tell how flat the head is by observing he surface.  Continue sanding until the surface is consistently the same appearance.  Rotate the head around every now and then to 'randomize' the sanding.  Switch to 600 grit to polish it up a bit.

Make sure to clean the sanding grit completely!  You do not want that in your engine!  (duhhhh..) 

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Wheelhorse#1
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Is there a steel insert in the spark plug hole?

Jeff. no I did not see a insert in the plug hole. Ill check the head out today to see if its warped in anyway.

• Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1
7 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I use a thick piece of glass, actually an old refrigerator shelf.  To that I tape a piece of sandpaper. I usually start with 320 grit.

Put the head on the paper and move it in a 'figure eight' pattern.

After the first few passes, look at the surface and you can tell how flat the head is by observing he surface.  Continue sanding until the surface is consistently the same appearance.  Rotate the head around every now and then to 'randomize' the sanding.  Switch to 600 grit to polish it up a bit.

Make sure to clean the sanding grit completely!  You do not want that in your engine!  (duhhhh..) 

I basicly do mine the same way except I use a thick flat piece of machined aluminum block, nothing to it ,It just takes some time.

• Like 3

Wheelhorse#1

All cleaned up and flat, ready to go back on.

00C5032B-1BA7-46EE-AD19-F7D7367D38F6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

tunahead72

Very nice! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Is that a part number I see stamped into the right edge of the head in that photo?  Not to lead you into some black hole of research, but that might be a clue.

• Like 1