clip

Mowing with the RJ

clip

I got some seat time with the repowered RJ project I'd been working on, and this thing is a blast to use when mowing. Went with a secondhand Predator 212 as the engine it came with was an odd Briggs 4hp. Deck was still in great shape and a few small weld repairs later, I'd taken care of the sides cracking. I tried sickle teeth from TSC but they've chipped more than expected after the first mowing, but I did find some NOS high lift blade tips (Toro 6005) for a reasonable price so they'll be going on before this weekend's mow. Anyone know if WH made a mulching kit for the RMR-32? Saw a reference to MU-35 leaf mulcher but can't find any info.

On the to-do list is make belt guards and weld up those extra holes in the hood.

PXL-20220918-141251679-MP.jpg

PXL-20220914-210215423-MP.jpg

Edited by clip
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 2

Handy Don

Glad its running well for you. It looks great!

I'd be very cautious of adding high-lift tips. I'd think about clearances, that having the air move that much may cause cuttings to discharge out the front of the deck, and the extra load on the gears.

I suspect the mulching kit was a piece of sheet metal that closed off the rear discharge and forced the grass to stay under the deck and be re-cut.

I've searched and not found any mulching blades compatible with my later 366 deck, and I'm not surprised.

Very few decks from any manufacturer had dual, counter-rotating blades. And don't these blades mount with an oblong center hole and two small outliers for roll pins?

Yeah, that sounds "standard" :lol:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Looking good!  Make sure that drive belt stops 100% before shifting between gears or from neutral… don’t want to hurt the transmission :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

Just be careful of those open belts. Pant leg gets caught she's all over but the crying and see you in bumps & bruises. 

Don't ask me how I know... :hide:

• Haha 1

Laplantebd

Very cool! I’m also getting the mower deck working properly on my RJ59. Looks like you have the same one. 

69C9283F-C91A-472E-8D8F-078807BC235E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WHGuy413

Not the right deck but some day I may be able to make it work. I’ve wanted to mow with this thing since I got it.

D9F48D27-27B7-4EBC-B877-D78AED1ABBFE.jpeg

• Like 1

clip

New blade tips made a world of difference on the cut. Before, the sickle teeth would give a slightly rough cut and manage to leave a few long blades of grass but the hi-lift tips left an excellent finish. Definitely stirred up more dust and left more clippings on the top of the deck but the yard looks great. They're extremely thin but with a good heat treat. I managed to cut through the side of the deck when it flexed into the blade path, but a quick weld repair took care of that.

The hub on the right rear continually works itself loose and I think it's a result of the former owner driving a bolt into the key seat. There's a lot of wear in the Woodruff key seat and corresponding slot, but I managed to peen it tight again. I need to find some thin shim stock and tighten everything up. 

PXL-20220924-171827242.jpg
PXL-20220924-172459643.jpg
PXL-20220924-172508940.jpg
PXL-20220924-173403759.jpg
PXL-20220924-173434512-MP.jpg

• Excellent 1

kpinnc
On 9/23/2022 at 5:32 PM, clip said:

I got some seat time with the repowered RJ

Congrats on keeping another horse working. That is what they were built for! :thumbs:

• Like 2

Laplantebd
On 9/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, clip said:

New blade tips made a world of difference on the cut. Before, the sickle teeth would give a slightly rough cut and manage to leave a few long blades of grass but the hi-lift tips left an excellent finish. Definitely stirred up more dust and left more clippings on the top of the deck but the yard looks great. They're extremely thin but with a good heat treat. I managed to cut through the side of the deck when it flexed into the blade path, but a quick weld repair took care of that.

The hub on the right rear continually works itself loose and I think it's a result of the former owner driving a bolt into the key seat. There's a lot of wear in the Woodruff key seat and corresponding slot, but I managed to peen it tight again. I need to find some thin shim stock and tighten everything up. 

PXL-20220924-171827242.jpg
PXL-20220924-172459643.jpg
PXL-20220924-172508940.jpg
PXL-20220924-173403759.jpg
PXL-20220924-173434512-MP.jpg

Did you make those blade tips? I’d like to get my hands on a spare set. They look great. 

• Like 1

WHGuy413
4 hours ago, Laplantebd said:

Did you make those blade tips? I’d like to get my hands on a spare set. They look great. 

I second this 

clip

They're still available if you look for part number 6005 from Toro. However, on most sites they're running between $220-250 for a set of four. I found an eBay seller that had some NOS Wheelhorse 6005 kits including new bolts and all-metal locknuts and bought two sets.

If you search "Toro S/A mower blade tips 6005" you'll probably find the same seller. Also, they accepted my lower offers both times. Looks like two kits left as of right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laplantebd
On 9/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, clip said:

They're still available if you look for part number 6005 from Toro. However, on most sites they're running between $220-250 for a set of four. I found an eBay seller that had some NOS Wheelhorse 6005 kits including new bolts and all-metal locknuts and bought two sets.

If you search "Toro S/A mower blade tips 6005" you'll probably find the same seller. Also, they accepted my lower offers both times. Looks like two kits left as of right now.

Thanks so much! I bought one of the two remaining kits. 

• Like 2