Metal Blender

312-hydro Wheel Horse Classic 1990

Metal Blender

My 312 hydro has the 12hp kohler motor,It has 3 wires white,purple and orange coming out from the stator area but the orange is not hooked up.The stator test around 40 volts ( multimeter test) but the battery is not charging.The regulator is cheap but new (not OEM).My question is the orange wire,what is it for? If I should hook it up? If yes then to what should it be run to?Battery  +?.  My regulator test was a failure but the tractor runs fine besides de-charging.Im searching for alternative reasons for the regulator not working other than its no good.Like cleaning and refitting all ground connections,cleaning and refitting the battery terminals and connecting wires.Is it posable the ignition switch is the wrong one or is failing at one or more poles?   Thanks for any help

gwest_ca

There is an orange wire that goes to the low oil switch

One quick test you can do

Turn the key to the RUN position with the engine not running.

Check the voltage across the battery posts.

Now move the red test lead to the B+ terminal on the regulator.

You should have the same voltage.

If not the charge current has no way to get to the battery

• Excellent 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Metal Blender said:

orange coming out from the stator area but the orange is not hooked up

I think the Orange is coming from the Low Oil Sentry relay to your dash lights, As Garry said the regulator won't work without battery voltage to the center terminal.

• Like 1