cerial

Pto options.

cerial

I picked up a engine yesterday to replace a worn briggs in my 78 c-161. 

It is a honda that was in a stump grinder. Just going to keep things simple with this. 

The thing has a pto on it and I was wondering if I could use it or would be better off using the one on the briggs. 

I know little to nothing about lawnmower pto's so any guidance is appreciated. 

20220920_213205.jpg

20220920_213154.jpg

Pullstart

Hey neighbor,

the PTO on the C-161 has a side load on the crank bearings.  It’s up for debate whether the Honda GX series have bearings rated for a side load or not.  Generally they look to be similar to say a Kohler, but they are not rated as such for some reason.  The Briggs engines weren’t either, so they had a special designed side load bearing plate on the exterior of the block to accept the load of the PTO bell.  So much for keeping things simple :orcs-cheers:

JAinVA

The Honda GX series has ball bearings on the crankshaft. Side loads should not be a problem. Do a Google search for conformation.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

cerial

I only paid a few hundred for the engine to just get this old girl moving again as a backup  snowblower/lawnmower. If I get 30 or 40 hours of run time out of it I will be happy. 

The clutch has a plate at the side and I dont know if that plate has to be pushed in, or if the outside needs to be dragged a bit to engauge cogs to lock in place, or something else. 

The guy said the clutch was newer so if I can use it then I would like to. If not then I need an idea on how to remove it properly to install the wheelhorse one. 

If the shafts are slightly diffrent I am sure I can find a way to adapt (weld) something and make it work. But before I go through all that fun lets see if I can use the clutch thats on it. 

8ntruck
On 9/21/2022 at 7:58 PM, JAinVA said:

The Honda GX series has ball bearings on the crankshaft. Side loads should not be a problem. Do a Google search for conformation.

That really depends on the ball bearing.  Those that are designed to support an axial (side) load will have a different race contour.  A typical ball bearing designed for radial load only will support an axial load -BUT you should expect a shorter life with an axial load applied.

• Like 1

JAinVA
24 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

That really depends on the ball bearing.  Those that are designed to support an axial (side) load will have a different race contour.  A typical ball bearing designed for radial load only will support an axial load -BUT you should expect a shorter life with an axial load applied. 

Ageeed!  Question is,are  Kohler crank bearings designed for an axial load.  If not then they have the same issues as Honda or Predator bearings.

Edited by JAinVA

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: here is where being able to decode the spec number on the Kolher engines would tell us if different bearings with axial load capabilities were used.

If anybody has the brand and number of the ball bearings Kohler used, you can probably look up the load specs of the bearing.

cerial

Briggs is on the shop floor, engine bay is all cleaned up, the centrifugal clutch is pulled off the Honda, and I have the clutch removed to the briggs up to this point. 

Letting that soak for a little bit before I put a 3 jaw puller on this.

The pulley just pulls off and presses on right? 

It would suck if I bent this thing because I did not do something simple. Before I do that I thought I would ask what I am hoping is a stupid question. 

Plan is to just measure before pulling off the pulley then match that measurement on the Hondas shaft when installing the pulley. 

20220925_141438.jpg

Edited by cerial

pfrederi

I would not use a three jaw puller. You may damage the pulley.  Use the threaded holes and timing gear type puller

There should be a set screw in the pulley aligned with the keyway

IMG_0608.JPG

• Like 1

cerial

Few things to button up still. But the old girl now moves.

Handy Don

Try to move slower when making a video. I'm dizzy!

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Try to move slower when making a video. I'm dizzy!

image.png.5c7432ec249f1e5f9b43e20465e5054c.png  ;)

• Haha 1