Sparky

Old 6” tires are TOUGH!

Sparky

Told a friend I would tube her front tire off her WH 310 that goes flat every couple days. The tractors a 1987 and so is the tire. I was assuming it was an 8” which is the smallest my Harbor Freight tire contraption is supposed to handle. But nope..it was a 6” front. 
  Talk about tough to dismount, insert the tube and remount!! I broke both beads but only peeled one side off the rim. I was wiped out after wrestling with it in the garage. It’s small size and the fact that it was old just made it worse. 
  In the end I won :handgestures-thumbupright:

379FFB8B-323D-4FE1-B972-12DFA0728B4A.jpeg

C97570D4-CF51-4D4E-9D58-382AA5963433.jpeg

E67D04F3-683E-419A-85D3-7DC9557B8891.jpeg

49F90664-EEAD-4D9C-B14D-702AA192742D.jpeg

FDD476FA-8100-44EA-9413-ED8E645CE74D.jpeg

• Like 8

ri702bill

Mike - I've got the same China Freight Mini Tire changer - sometimes - not ofter, you can get away just breaking the bead on the valve stem side of the rim and if the tire is wide enough and still pliable enough - you can force the tire bead down and wiggle the tube into the void. I always coat the inside of the tire and the outside of the tube with talcum powder - eliminated the stickiness and the tube can move into position when you reflate it. I also use liquid hand soap as the lube to reinstall the tire onto the rim - less chance of ripping up the bead. Toughest past is fishing the rigid valve stem back up thru the hole in the rim...

Old Ariens Sno Thro tires are the WORST to mount...

Bill

Edited by ri702bill

pacer

A tip I picked up ... somewhere? is when you got one of those stuck (which seems to be every time!!) get your propane torch and heat around the rims edge til it pretty toasty. When its reaching a nice toasty heat start applying down force on the handle.

• Thanks 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, pacer said:

get your propane torch and heat around the rims edge til it pretty toasty

You just may get the surprize of your life doing that IF someone used that Fix-a-Flat goo in the screw on inflator can on that tire - that stuff is EXPLOSIVE !! (good enough to use on the ex-wife's car though...)

RED-Z06

Trick to tires isnt leverage, its method, my first day at a high volume shop it took me 2 hours to do a tube and i pinched it.  Next one got easier, i ended up, for 3 years, being the one that did tires, little snapper tires to big 15" GT tires.  I had it down to a 2 minute ordeal in most cases.  Once you figure out how much a tire can give, and what tools are needed, and how to use your body and weight to manipulate the tire...its easy. But the most important thing is to understand the bead is multiple wraps of steel wire, it will not stretch or give, your only choice is angle, get it down into the rim on one side and you'll have room to peel it off the other...going on is the same.

The worst tire I ever did was a troy bilt tuffy tiller tire, 4" rim, ag lug tire stiff as a board, no give, and the rim was made of old beer cans or something weak..

Retired Wrencher

Yes Mike There a pain in the A>>. I have done a few. Glade, you got it done.