Wild Bill in VA

OK Old stuff skool time

Wild Bill in VA

I was asked about the SR-64 Speed Reduction kit by a member here and I knew they made 2 versions, the first was for the early 1960's models and the second was for the late 1960's models. Well, what could be the difference I mean it consisted of a big 7-inch transmission drive pulley, 2 idler pulleys and a bent belt guard ???? Now the early 1960's Wheel Horse models did not use the metal tang at the lower front of the belt guard used to slow the belt speed down to shift gears and from 1965 and later Wheel Horse models used a 2-inch metal tang on the lower part of the belt guard up at the output pulley of the engine to slow the belt down. The belt guard was made with 2 front mounting points, 1 for the Tecumseh and 1 for the Kohler engines. With the 7-inch drive pulley the tractor could move at a much slower rate that would be needed for snow blowing or using a tiller.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

KIMG1779.JPG

KIMG1777_2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

I’ve never seen one of those, awesome stuff!  It’s so good having your knowledge pouring into the forum on a regular basis!  

• Like 2

wh500special

Remember when that speed reduction kit was all the rage among us collectors back around 1998 or so?  That was followed by the little tillers with the vertical shaft Tecumseh engines.   Then the Merry Mac “salad shooter” shredders.   Then the sickle mowers.  Then the 4-wheel carts.  Then…

neat how things come back around. 

Steve

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
6 minutes ago, wh500special said:

How long until my '68 Lawn Ranger with a front blade become a hot item? :lol:

• Haha 2

squonk

Ah the Tecky tillers! I may get my hands on one of those baby's come spring! :)

ri702bill

The only drawback folks  - you are stuck in low range until you put it back to original - it is NOT a 6 or 8 speed.....

• Like 1

Wild Bill in VA
3 hours ago, wh500special said:

Remember when that speed reduction kit was all the rage among us collectors back around 1998 or so?  That was followed by the little tillers with the vertical shaft Tecumseh engines.   Then the Merry Mac “salad shooter” shredders.   Then the sickle mowers.  Then the 4-wheel carts.  Then…

Steve

Steve, Now I ain't a speculator BUT it might be the cast iron wheel weights! :scared-eek: 

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 1

wh500special
58 minutes ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

Steve, Now I ain't a speculator BUT it might be the cast iron wheel weights! :scared-eek: 

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Could be!

but I also forgot about the heavy duty front  end kit and the HL-5 lights.  Then the front RJ weight that fit inside the hood.  

Rumor has it that the next, hottest collectibles are anything from the 1968 model year.   Especially the Lawn Rangers.  

steve 

• Haha 1

gwest_ca

Early speed reducer was SR-62 so likely introduced in 1962 for the 701 and 1962-1963 models. Then came the SR-64.

Wild Bill - Do you happen to have a copy of service bulletin #40 we could get a copy of?

DBlackston
On 9/18/2022 at 7:06 PM, wh500special said:

I also forgot about the heavy duty front end kit   

steve 

Steve what is this beast you speak if?

DBlackston

I'm putting an 8 speed in my 704. Maybe I should put a speed reducer kit on it? Then I could really run a tiller slow!

I already have a cover but never could find an input pulley and idler bar.

20181116_233315.jpg

Edited by DBlackston

953 nut
9 hours ago, DBlackston said:

putting an 8 speed in my 704. Maybe I should put a speed reducer kit on it?

Lets see,    first gear,    low range,     with a speed reducer    :confusion-confused:     probably be outrun by a snail but lots more seat time.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

wh500special
10 hours ago, DBlackston said:

Steve what is this beast you speak if?

It was a kit for the C/300/400 tractors that came with heavy duty front spindles and a set of wheels and tires to match.  I think the wheels had bearings in them but I don’t remember.   It was intended for use with the loader and two stage snow blower.  

as I recall, it was extraordinarily cheap for what it was.  In the $135 range perhaps. 

Steve

DBlackston

Bill, I just received your speed reducer kit. I am one step closer to running my WT-244 behind my 854. Now I am on to search for a V60 Tecumseh for the tiller. 

Thanks for selling it to me!

20191130_175723.jpg

• Excellent 1