Kevippolito

Fuel Pump

Kevippolito

so i have a 12 hp kohler engine, and the fuel pump is functional out of the engine because i can feel suction but when i put it in the engine nothing happens, i know the finger of the fuel pump is supposed to go somewhere but i’m not to sure we’re, can anyone explain we’re the finger goes, if you have pictures that would be great? 

ineedanother
20 minutes ago, Kevippolito said:

so i have a 12 hp kohler engine, and the fuel pump is functional out of the engine because i can feel suction but when i put it in the engine nothing happens, i know the finger of the fuel pump is supposed to go somewhere but i’m not to sure we’re, can anyone explain we’re the finger goes, if you have pictures that would be great? 

That arm rides on a cam lobe. This pic is not a Kohler cam and not one to drive a fuel pump but it might help. Worn lobes or a damaged or incorrect pump = no go juice. Replacing with an electric pump is an option. Lots of discussion on this site about that.

Briggs and Stratton 795697 Camshaft - Jacks Small Engines

• Like 1

peter lena

@Kevippolito  https://www.amazon.com/CarBole-Universal-2-3-5P-S-I-Operating-Self-Priming/dp/B01IR6BNKY/ref=sr_1_3?  have this carbole on my horse for years now , no problems , super quiet , hooked it up to starter switch , is self regulating , or you can  also replace the original with same type , also have the opportunity to ad  a vertical fuel check valve , 5/16 "  , between pump and carb , evil energy https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-Return-Petrol-Aluminium/dp/B07ZB42CGT  , pretty simple easy possible fix / upgrade .  thats  what I  do to every problem , fix it , and also enhance it , only a suggestion .  have lots of hours on my upgrade , works with out issues  , pete

pacer

Hmmmm, thats odd. Dont recall ever seeing that particular problem.

@ineedanother pic shows the lobes that open the valves, the fuel pump is much smaller - it only moves 1/8-3/16". Take something like a ....pencil/match stick/etc and stick it in the opening to where it touches the cam -- gently - hold pressure on the stick and turn the engine by hand and you 'should' feel the changing/lifting of the stick, if not????  get an electric, thats the best shot anyway.

pfrederi

Is it the correct pump.  Small Block and big block Kohlers use different pumps.  They look identical except for the shape of actuator arm...

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Is it the correct pump.  Small Block and big block Kohlers use different pumps.  They look identical except for the shape of actuator arm...

:text-yeahthat:

Bill D

Convert to an vacuum impulse pump.  They work great.  If you go this route use a genuine Briggs or Kawasaki pump.  They are made in Japan and very good quality.  Make a mounting plate and mount it as shown.

KIMG0869.JPG

KIMG1452.JPG

• Like 2

Bill D

More mounting plate pics. Not my best fab work, but it gets the job done.  I put one of these on my Dad's 312-8 and one on a 312-8 I sold to my neighbor.  Both are still going strong.  

KIMG1321.JPG

KIMG1320.JPG

KIMG1319.JPG

• Thanks 1