Sign in to follow this  
abrown0920

Adam's 753 restore

abrown0920

Finally getting started on the horse. This is my first attempt at a restore so I am sure I will have lots of questions. My first is do I really have a 753? The stickers are gone as is the serial number. I have assumed it was a 753 based on the K161S being a 1963, I looked that up somewhere a while ago and think it is a 63.

Model K161S

Engine Spec number: 28626E

Serial Number: 588330

Pics from before the teardown: It was painted some years ago.

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

After tearing it down today I started to doubt weather it is a 753 or something else. The tie rods and lift don't seem to jive with 753s. My uneducated guess is that it is an early 63 but they could have switched out the front when the front axle broke...

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1744.jpg

Can someone educate me on the tanks also. I saw in another thread the tank off a a similar year that was two piece. Is this a two piece becuase it sure doesn't look like it.

DSCN1743.jpg

What are my options on the spindles. I don't have the specs but they seem to be worn down pretty bad.

DSCN1740.jpg

Thanks, Adam

whfan74

Sharp looking tractor! :thumbs2:

You have a great candidate for restoration.......please keep us all posted!

Sorry not exactly sure what you have either...........

TT

It looks like a "late-model" 702 to me. (extra bend in shifter to clear the optional HY-2 hydraulic lift)
Your best bet with the spindles is to have a welding/machine shop make a new pair. You can also have bushings installed in the spindle bores and bolster bolt hole (in the axle) to help tighten things up like when it was new.

buckrancher

I believe it's a 702 the solid gas tank with the metal bolt on dash say's 702

the lift arm looks 702 a 753 has a lift handle hight ajustment I believe. The

tractor also has the braces on the hoodstand to the steering support (702)

The front axle and steering linkage looks 702 as the front of the frame where the axle mounts also

TT

I guess a better way to put it would have been that it's a later 1962 502/552/702.

Since all three of these models are essentially identical except for the engine and the wiring, pinpointing its true identity is almost impossible in its current state.

Here's all three:

042708002-2.jpg

Suburban 550

Adam, I would have to agree with TT on it being either a 502, 552, or a 702 because of the one piece gas tank and front axle. Other than the engines and the wiring it's pretty difficult to tell them apart.

HorseFixer

Nice looking 702 :thumbs2: keep us posted on yer progress!

bitten

Whatever it is loks to be in great shape. Very nice metal.