Sign in to follow this  
Lane Ranger

Getting the bugs out of the 50 inch Sickle Bar

Lane Ranger

My brother David Ralph rigged up the SMS- 50 - 50 inch Sickle Bar Mower this weekend and went seeking a candidate for "testing" his new toy today.

After the first run through -not bad:

DSCF0108.jpg

He had some trouble after a successful first run at high throttle in first gear. He said to let everyone know that these bars are awesome but they require a lot of attention when you are steering, shifting gears, manning the throttle, moving the sickle bar handle up or down, and trying to watch for debris, etc!

DSCF0113.jpg

As he said , "Lots of moving parts!"

DSCF0114.jpg

I thought the Redsquare gang would enjoy seeing these photos, especially the sickle bar mower owners!

Here he is after breaking a bolt on the blade clamp after the second pass:

DSCF0110.jpg

He broke his drive belt (old and about an inch too small he says-new ones on the way as it uses two an A-37 for the drive belt off the PTO shaft to the sicle clutch and an A59 that makes a 90 degree turn under the tractor frame from the sickle to run the the blade action).

The bolt lost assisted with the blade sharpening mainteance and back at it.

DSCF0112.jpg

We will have to update as more photos come!

sorekiwi

Awesome! :thumbs2:

I can believe it gets busy using that thing...

I spent 3 hours the other night weed whacking a bank at the front of my property, I cant wait to get mine up and running. I have another 1000 feet or so of scrub and beside a creek that is starting to get out of control. Mind you I probably have to weed wack it first to discover where the rocks, stumps and other miscellaneous obstacles are....

I'm not sure what tp mount it on though. The weapon of choice for most experianced sickle operators is a hydro, with second choice being an 8 speed.

Maybe I need another tractor!!

Lane Ranger

My brother David said tonight that it wanted lots of throttle and the 10 HP in the 1054-A Wheel Horse he set this up on was working.

He built the back plate piece we were looking for demensions on and bolted up with two bolts to the transmission casing in back with a collar for the sickle rod under the frame to rise in.

That 90 degree turn in the belt that operates the sickle is the pain to put on. After breaking the first one he said it's still a psin even after you figure out how to arrange it on all the pulleys!

I can't wait to see it when I go to Gary, In. next week!

d180man

Hi nice we have a 50" hope to get it out and get some video but nice tractor! :thumbs2: :thumbs:

zieg72

I have 200 ft of frontage with a ditch the whole way. Sure would be nice to find one some day.

Lane Ranger

Curtis/ d180man:

I want to see the video of the 50 inch sickle bar in action!

Make one and post it and I will try to do the same. I think it will assist a lot of folks with how these things work!

Lane Ranger

Good place to order a variety of sickle bar mower parts inclusing 2 inch knife blades, bolts, rivets, feet etc.

http://www.sickleservice.com/

Webb's Sickle Service

Grand Island, Nebraska

1-800-578-1480

Webb's Sickle Service Inc., 204 S. Claude Road, Grand Island Nebraska 68803 U.S.A.

Phone-308-381-7090 Fax-308-398-1966

Designed by GX Concecpts

d180man

Curtis/ d180man:

I want to see the video of the 50 inch sickle bar in action!

Make one and post it and I will try to do the same. I think it will assist a lot of folks with how these things work!

Hi thanks for the parts info ! :thumbs: we just go it and put it back on the electro 12 we have to look it over and oil we have a hill 150 to 200 feet long we are going to try it on! :thumbs2: hope it will work ok just have not got to it ! it is to hot right now 95 with 105 heat index but it is to cool off this coming week hope to get some photos and video of it! :ychain: :ROTF:

Lane Ranger

:thumbs2: Good Photo of the two belts that run off the PTO side of the 1965 1054-A Wheel Horse operating the SMS-50 Sickle Bar Mower.

DSCF0115-2.jpg

Hydraulic on the 1054-A lifts the Sickle Bar Mower just a hair under the right footplate when the mower is lifter up.

Handle in the left of the photo extends the Sickle Bar Mower arm out to ride just above the ground level.