Sign in to follow this  
Raider

Dozer hitches

Raider

I've been looking at hitches for dozer blades on ebay lately and have seen three different looking ones so far. One of them is a homemade part that someone is producing, the other two original (I think). Has the design changed at some point or are there hitches for certain tractors. I was under the impression they would be all the same.

CasualObserver

Two basic styles.

The "newer" style bolted to the bottom side of the rear axle.

rearhitchnew1.jpg2-22-09039-1.jpg

and the "older" style bolted to the front of the axle.

rearhitchold1.jpgrearhitchold2.jpg

The third style you mention has been reproduced to mimic the older style hitch without the crossbar.

0e68_1.jpg

See this post http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=541 in the FAQ section for which plow frames fit which bracket.

bitten

There is also a hitch for the tiller that has a hole to attach a spring.

Raider

Great, that helps a lot. Which hitch would be appropriate for my Raider9? It looks to me like any of them should work but what would the tractor be equipped with originally? I have a 42" snow blade, long style that I'd like to hang on it.

CasualObserver

Raider... This is a picture of my Raider 9.

2-22-09039-1.jpg

The Raider is a long frame tractor and requires a long from blade. I don't think the other hitch type will work on a long frame, but honestly I've never tried it..

wh500special

"Underslung"

rearhitchnew1.jpg2-22-09039-1.jpg

Forward Mount type:

rearhitchold1.jpgrearhitchold2.jpg

Using Jason's pictures above...

The underslung type (my name for these) is used on darn near all the tractors WH made: long frame, short frame, C-series, etc.

The forward mount type are for the D-auto series, the GT14, and C195. They grab snowblade on the outsides of the A-frame. Because they have the crossbar in the rear, the tiller won't hang on these.

Some of the very early dozers had another version of the underslung mount that did not have "quick attach" latches and the dozer blade bolted on.

And another version of the underslung type had an ear on the right hand side to accomodate an idler for the old style rear tiller.

And, some of the early ones were meant to be used for the hydraulic lift accessory and have a cylinder mount on the left side.

Finally, some of the hitches are drilled for locking cotters to be inserted into them to keep the latches from popping open. Some aren't.

The later tractors like the 260 series and 5xi series had their own versions.

Lots of versions of these little buggers.

You can use the D-series type to mount a dozer blade to most of the other tractors but the D-blades are wider and probably won't fit the smaller hitches.

Steve

Raider

Thankyou all for the info, now it all makes sense to me.

What I have is the older/GT-14/D-series hitch then. I've not mounted it to the Raider but it looks to fit when I hold it up in front of the axle. The old hitch fits the blades but there is very little clearance behind the end of the dozer frame. The dozer blades I have also have the option of inserting the hitch pins either inside or outside the dozer frame on the mounting bar. My hitch also has a pair of tabs on one side that look like they are to accept a pin for connecting something else, possibly the hydraulic lift cylinder?

I wonder if this hitch would be put to better use on one of the bigger tractors and I can get the smaller hitch for my Raider. Was this one made specifically for GT-14s and D-series then?

mcwh1950

raider dose it look like this one

a503_1.jpg

Raider

Yep, my hitch looks like that one.

mcwh1950

Yep, my hitch looks like that one.

raider first off i hated to remove the 55 lb weight from the wheel. if you hitch look like this one yes i use it on a 1979 c-121. as steve from west lebanon In said it's for a hydraulic or electric lift from the late 60 to the early 70 .

my plow have both hole for the hair pin too inside and outside.

i don't mean to jam up your topic with picture , but here are some of the hitch and plow on the c-121.

100_2437.jpg

100_2438.jpg

100_2439.jpg

100_2440.jpg

100_2441.jpg

100_2442.jpg

100_2443.jpg

100_2444.jpg

100_2445.jpg

i buy it of off e-bay for 20.00 . the person had it listed as coming off of a 856. i buy it because i might be able to trade it in the future for a newer hitch some day.

hope i help you some

Raider

mcwh1950, you've helped me a lot, Thankyou! Those pictures tell the whole story. That should work fine on my Raider then. I'd like to see the hydraulic or electric lift arrangement somehow. I'll have to get my hitch and dozer cleaned up and mounted on the Raider now and go push some junk around. :thumbs2: