Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Painting rear rims

bo dawg

I forgot to take pic's of the wheels before I had them sandblasted, they were nasty, but here is after the primer was on and then the finish paint.

How many coats do you guy's normally put on these rear rims? I put 1 coat primer and 2 coats finish so far. Still not too impressed with it, I used Dupli color paint from rattle cans. 1 can primer, 2 cans finish.

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

:thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

I have use 1 can of bare metal primer on a belt cover (small one), 1 seat pan ( front and back ), 2 front 8 x 3 3/4 wheels (inside outside front and back), 1 coat. I have used 1 1/2 cans of paint on the front wheels, 4 coats all the way around on 1, and 3coats front 2 coats back 1 coat inside, on the other front. Can't tell a bit of difference in color or shine on the two. They are smaller rims, so I would get a least 3 cans for the rears and put it on until you like the outcome. Save a little for touch, from mounting, then possibly rattel on some clear coat. I have done some rally wheels on a pick up, with high heat and cleared them, and their shine outlasted the pick up all rattel canned. Sorry to draw it out so much, but I hope it helps answer your question.

bo dawg

Thanks Terry I appreciate the help. :thumbs2:

I would of thought there would of been more replies on this, :ychain: but I guess it was a stupid question. I looked all through past posts trying to find help with something like this but didn't see anything. I just wanted to hear what others has done. Plus like to hear what would be the procedure on spraying wheels, there's not a good way to start and stop with the paint is there?

:thumbs:

Duff

Hey, Bo....there are no "stupid questions". Every one of us can benefit from someone else's knowledge or experiences! :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs2:

gwgdog66
I have use 1 can of bare metal primer on a belt cover (small one), 1 seat pan ( front and back ), 2 front 8 x 3 3/4 wheels (inside outside front and back), 1 coat. I have used 1 1/2 cans of paint on the front wheels, 4 coats all the way around on 1, and

tgranthamfd

Bo, Glad my rambeling made some sence to you, Like Gary said if you have good paint to cover up there are less steps to take. I stripped my fronts, they were very rusty. I haven't done my rear wheels yet, but on the 8"er's I worked in small sections (quartered) and put on light coats and tryed to hit them from a couple of angles to get good coverage. I used Valspar almond, with most of these paints you can recoat anytime after cured. There are a couple of pictures of my fronts in the work in progress section, just ignor the scuffs from home mounting the tire. They will be touched up, and possibly clear coated by the cans. If you do have a good base, just lightly scuff or wet sand, clean, dry, then paint. Let them dry enough to lightly wipe off the dirt and bugs :thumbs2: inbetween coats. By the way what you have going looks pretty good to me. Thanks and good luck.

gwgdog66

Here are some better pictures of the ones I did (rear's)

DSC00449.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00445.jpg]

I think the rears match up real well with the NOS front rims I had.

tgranthamfd

You know, I still have my fenders off, those big ole ag's sure would look good on the back of mine. :thumbs2: Come on bubba.

gwgdog66

Well, Test fit, and photo oppertunity only :thumbs2: Then they go on the big Horse!!