Sign in to follow this  
JonW

Electrical troubles

JonW

When I got the tractor the headlights and taillights didn't work.

So I checked with the voltmeter and found no power at the headlights.

I moved the battery and pulled the pink wire from the HL switch. POWER!

So.......... I went to my trusted friend. PB BLASTER.

I sprayed a little down the rocker switch and moved the switch back and forth for a few minutes. Then I tapped it gently on a rock..... more PB blaster and checked the continuity and had continuity!!

Put the switch back in and both HL come on! 5 seconds later the left one burns out. :omg:

Oh well at least that's an easy fix.

I then checked the taillights. Power at the plugs, checked continuity on the bulbs, it shows the bulbs are fine.

I cleaned the plugs and put the bulbs back in they work, then they wont.

Then they will....... then they wont. :drool:

Short of replacing the plugs I am getting new bulbs today to see if that helps.

The problem I think is that the plugs aren't holding the bulbs so they can make full contact all the time. They are the all glass push in type.

Any tips on keeping the bulbs working?

Well anyways that's my story. Making progress.

Duff

Jon, sometimes you can get into the plugs with a pen knife or pick and GENTLY bend the contacts to create a tighter grip on the wire thingies on the bulbs. I also have had to use a pen knife to carefully scrape the contacts to remove any corrosion. Then before I insert a bulb I coat the base (or the little wires depending on the type of bulb) with a little silicone grease to keep moisture out.

You probably already know this, but if if you are dealing with halogen bulbs (not on your tractor, more likely on your car or truck) and you decide to grease the base, be absolutely sure none gets on the glass envelope of the bulb itself - guaranteed burnout!

Duff :omg:

JonW

Jon, sometimes you can get into the plugs with a pen knife or pick and GENTLY bend the contacts to create a tighter grip on the wire thingies on the bulbs. I also have had to use a pen knife to carefully scrape the contacts to remove any corrosion. Then before I insert a bulb I coat the base (or the little wires depending on the type of bulb) with a little silicone grease to keep moisture out.

You probably already know this, but if if you are dealing with halogen bulbs (not on your tractor, more likely on your car or truck) and you decide to grease the base, be absolutely sure none gets on the glass envelope of the bulb itself - guaranteed burnout!

Duff :omg:

Thanks Duff!

I did try to clean the contacts with 800 grit sandpaper, but I think the pen knife would do a better job. I will try that later. I do have some dielectric grease and will use that.

I just wish they were the "twist lock" type of bulbs........ much more durable.