Sign in to follow this  
turdypnt419

tiller seals ?

turdypnt419

has anyone replaced the shaft seals ?And if so ,any little tips would be awesome THANKS>

92Pony

At one time, 4starcustoms was talking about 'going though' his tiller. I don't recall if he did. Maybe he'll see this and post.

Wade

KyBlue

I havent gotten around to it yet. thou I do have all the seals sitting here waiting.

Kevin (KpInNC) just redid his tiller, he might have some advice, and in the works in progress section, Prater, is rebuilding his too. Thou he has only done the sheet metal so far.

I would imagine, the seals are just like any other seal.. just be careful putting them in, make sure they go in straight.

kpinnc

I just finished my tiller and am VERY pleased with it. So is anyone else who I've tilled their garden with, as I've just HAD to show off a bit. :omg:

The seals are very easy to replace, and of course still available at most any online parts supplier. I used Partstree this time around, and had no problems at all.

I would suggest you check your "axle" bearings as well, as worn bearings will pretty much make new seals completely useless. If the axle bearings are OK (no excessive play), then just make sure the shafts are clean and free of and high of rough spots before sliding the seals over them. No sense destroying a seal just putting it on.

My seals went in much easier than the axle seals on a transmission do. But I did have my tiller completely disassembled, which was beneficial. If you don't plan to go that far, I would use some plastic pipe (PVC, etc...) to slide over the axles and drive the seals in.

muledrive173-1.jpg

muledrive178-1.jpg

If you haven't got your tines off yet, I would suggest welding a 3/4 nut onto the outside of each one. You'll be able to use a long 3/4 bolt to pull the tines off, and use a short one to close up the ends when you're done.

muledrive190-1.jpg

muledrive189-1.jpg

Good luck!

Kevin