Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Lawn Ranger Identification 1961???

Docwheelhorse

Hello All--I put a poor, tired, beat almost to death Lawn Ranger on Ebay so that somebody that could use the parts had a chance to get it. Well--now I am getting emails telling me its a '63 then a '64 and a few are telling me its an ULTRA RARE 1961.... Well either way the poor thing is basically a 'Horse with not one but TWO broken legs... :drool: It does have a two piece gas tank, other than that I have no idea how to tell what it is. Can anybody give me some tips on figuring out what year it is? :omg: By the way--the hood is SHOT, the first 5 lower louvers are rotted off and the bottom is completly rotted. It looks alot better in the pics than it really is.

Thanks!!!

Tony

2009_0404Image0004.jpg

2009_0404Image0001.jpg

2009_0404Image0009.jpg

rzeigler

Doc I have a 62 Lawn Ranger that I'm restoring and yours looks exactly like mine. Only a little rougher. I'm new to this but I would say a 62. I could really use those front and rear feet are the fronts solid rubber? I would post a pic to compare but mines in a pile of pieces.

Rich

Docwheelhorse

HI--the fronts are not solid and I don't think are original to any of the Rangers. One rear wheel comes off easy--I didn't try the other.

Tony

past7971

I would say 1962 also. The 1963's had a different looking front axle. Definitely not a 1964. The 1964's has totally different frame and gas tank set-up like 604 & 654 had. A little off-topic but I was born in 1964 and have tried to get one of every 1964 model but the Lawn Rangers have alluded me. Anyone in my area who might have one for sale (or trade?) please contact me off group :omg: I did incorrectly comment on the front axle change for 1963. It was changed in 1963 except for the Lawn Rangers or 603--my mistake :drool:

Guest fireman

Doc,

According to Martino's book, the Ranger began production on April 4, 1962. The model 32R had a six hp recoil start and the 32E had electric start. Toro's site says it was a 5.5 hp Lawson.

It doesn't say anything about some ultra rare 61. They began working on a design before production began code named "Grasshopper". Perhaps the prototype is what they are talking about.

Hope that helps

Update: Just did some more research and the 62 and 63 had a three spoke steering wheel. The 64 had a two spoke. So from what I can tell, yours is either a 62 32R or 63 33R because it has a 3 spoke steering wheel and I don't see the battery box area behind the engine mount on the frame. If you go to the Parts Tree website you can view all the drawings. Toro's site does not have them.

oldandred

Tonny is the metal tag still there ?

under the dash tower

and some thing about the rear wheel dont look right

Guest fireman

past7971,

The front axles were the same in 62 and 63. The change came in 64. Check out the drawings.

Brrly1

Doc, Here ya go!! This is a 62 Lawn Ranger that had been refinished by Carl before last years show. Its complete even with the small hard rubber tires. I believe original investment was $25. Thats all I know for now! Burly

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

CasualObserver

Without the original motor and front wheels, and with the absence of the serial number, it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between a 62 and 63 Lawn Ranger. Per the original parts lists, the ONLY PARTS that were different were the front wheels, the motor and the exhaust bracket. All the other parts including the tie rods were the same.

TT

My 32E has Firestone rear tires and my 33R has "Wheel Horse" branded rear tires.

The tread on the Firestones looks like the tread on Tony's LR tires, while the WH branded tires look more like the conventional stud tread "mini-bike" tires.

32E:

32En400003.jpg

33R:

WHmisc005.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ Jerry: no metal tags before 1965, remember? :omg:

jusjeepn

Look at the hood placement on Tony's compared to Carl's and TT's. The hood sits back a couple of inches from the frames edge :omg:. Just an observation!

TT

Look at how the sides are bowed out where the indentations are for the square stickers though...... I'd say the bottom of the grille is pushed back quite a bit, and once it was pulled forward the sides would pull back in where they belong. (I've seen this a few times. :omg: )

jusjeepn

Nice catch TT! I don't mess with round hoods so I never in a million years would have caught that , especially in a picture!

Lawn Ranger with 2 broke legs ........................$35

Knowledge of others.................................Priceless

Docwheelhorse

Thanks for all the information... I do know that the trator was a recoil start which would make it a 32R. Its out there and it will go for the .99 if anybody wants it. Other than that I think the transaxle will come out and the rest will be rolled into the woods with all the other frames etc.... they seem to give up the oddest goodies now and again so I can't bear to throw any of them out!! :omg:

Tony

acsousa82

While we are on the topic of dating lawn rangers, let me just confirm that the 64 Lawn Ranger had the style of hood that mounts over the steering column with the gas tank mounted to the hood correct???? Similar to the rjs, but with the grill ribs cut out. That is what I thought was one of the major characteristics of the 64 Lawn ranger, also either a 34r or 34e. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

64s

Yes, that's correct. The 64 hood remained the same thru 68, but it had fenders, not the seat pan. the 64 model had its own look, 62-63 looked similar as did the 65-68.