Sign in to follow this  
rwilson

C-120 8 speed

rwilson

I have a 1975 c-120 special that pops out of second gear when going up hills. It doesn't do it all the time, and it doesn't matter if it is hauling a load or not. Could second gear be wore out? Could it be from the loaded tires? What do you guys think?

rwilson

Can someone please help a fellow wheelhorse lover out?? I'm at a loss here.

KyBlue

be patient, they'll be along to help ya. There is something worn in the transmission... just dont remember what thou.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--If I remember correctly your shift detent ball for 2nd is worn/broke. You could also have a bearing letting go and when the shaft that second gear is on starts getting loaded it will cause the gear to pop out of allignment. Use the search feature and mull around in the transaxle posts and I'm sure you'll find something. Later today I will look around and see if I can find the posts that reference this problem and I'll post links.

Tony

P.S>--on second thought I think your tractor maybe shot and is dangerous to use and should be dropped off at my house for safety reasons :omg:

rwilson

Well Its gonna take alot more than second gear acting up for me to just drop it off at your house.

TT

As soon as he realizes it has a Tecumseh under the hood he'll change his mind. :omg:

Docwheelhorse

ITS A TECUMSEH -----AWWWWWWW CRAP----- as Bart Simpson would say.... :drool: I've changed my attitude towards them, I don't like them, I won't run them if I can help it, but what the #$%$#& do I care if somebody else loves them to death. I like the Kohlers but :drool: the Briggs and Stratton and man the harrasing I get for that....... To each there own.

Tony

P.S>----Tecumseh carbs still make me cry though. :omg:

Astrolite

Those 8-speeds aren't too difficult to rebuild. I did the one on my C-100. If you can find a copy of the transmission manual with good clear pictures it's pretty foolproof. I don't know if all the gears and other parts are still available, I just picked up a second transaxle and picked the best parts from the two to put back in.

I'll second that on the Tecumseh motors, my 1st horse, the 71 Workhorse 800, has the HH80. Ran the last time I used it but smokes and knocks real bad. I only buy Kohlers now.

Rod(NASNUT)

Good that will be more for the rest of us.