Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Starter generator question

Horse'n Around

I received the starter generator for my 702 and I noticed that there is a 1/4 threaded hole in the side of the starter. Does anyone know what its for? Also should there be a plug in it? It had something like cotton stuffed in it and when I took it out it was nice and clean inside but I dont know whats supposed to be in it.This hole is located next to the oval metal tag that has the model and serial number on it.Could it be for lubrication? Im stumped.

Its in great shape and it sure works good,lots of power.

I would really appreciate your help and input.

Thanks!

John

past7971

It sounds like the tapped hole for adjuster bracket for use on different models. My Wheel Horse 800's that originally used starter/generator Briggs engine have different adjuster than "normal". Same style system was used on older Simplicity's with Briggs and is probably on your starter/generator to facilitate use on multiple models.

Horse'n Around

If its "in the side" like I'm thinking, it may be for an adjuster bracket for use on different models. My Wheel Horse 800's that originally used starter/generator Briggs engine have different adjuster than "normal". Same style system was used on older Simplicity's with Briggs and is probably on your starter/generator to facilitate use on multiple models.

Paul,

By side I ment the side left to right down the side of the starter itself. I bought it on Ebay, heres the ebay Item number: 250380093645.There are 2 realy good pictures of it, The hole that Im talking about is visible in both pictures, but you can see it really god in the close up pic below the serial number on the ID tag. I just checked and the page is still availiable.If you enter the item number on Ebay it will bring up the page with the pictures.

John

past7971

Yep, I believe thats it. Doesn't look like it was tapped for the two small screws that held regulator to generator case. These starter/generators were used by a bunch of different manufactures on their tractors. Even one that is the same size and rotation will have minor differences like these from manufacturer/model to different application

Horse'n Around

Yep, I believe thats it. Doesn't look like it was tapped for the two small screws that held regulator to generator case. These starter/generators were used by a bunch of different manufactures on their tractors. Even one that is the same size and rotation will have minor differences like these from manufacturer/model to different application

Thanks for clearing that up, it sure had me baffled. I couldnt for the life of me see it could have been a lubrication hole unless there was a oil galley or something drilled into the starter. Does this threaded hole need to by plugged or is it ok to be left open?

Thanks again,

John

iicap

Just a stab in the dark, as I didn't see the pics. If the tapped hole is within 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the armature term of the generator/starter, it could have been to mount a condenser that wouldn't be applicable on a tractor application. Very common on Delco/Remy generators

oldandred

Just a stab in the dark, as I didn't see the pics. If the tapped hole is within 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the armature term of the generator/starter, it could have been to mount a condenser that wouldn't be applicable on a tractor application. Very common on Delco/Remy generators

Are you talking about the condense that for the engine if so thats not were it goes

iicap

I am referring to condensers used on generator equipped vehicles to reduce radio interferance. You would find them attached to generator armature terminals, also on the arm term of the volt reguator. Like I said you wouldn't use it in a tractor application. We are discussing 30 to 40 year old tractors and I believe Delco-Remy made the starter/generators on a lot of small engines of that era before stand alone starters came into use.

Someone please correct if I'm wrong that some of them may have been built by Autolite or Prestolite but I've never seen any.

That 1/4 inch tapped hole could be there because the housings were prob made buy the hundreds of thousands and part of the production and not used in many applications.

oldanred please don't misinterpet my answer, I'm not trying to be smug about anything. I LOVE to share knowledge. I realize the ign cond is usually on the ign coil on Kohlers.

AzTrooper, not trying to hi-jack your thread, just another possibility as to why the hole is there. There is more to say on starter/gens, maybe I'll start a new thread

iicap

Not for nothing guys but just happen to look at the cover of the latest Eastwood Catalog and there is a pic of small block Chevy V-8 with generator big as life and it has the condenser mounted with a fat head slotted screw that I'll say is 1/4 USS thread and hooked to the arm term

Kelly

I guess the case could be the same, but in a auto application, these are only gen. and on tractors they are starter/generators and I've seen them used on many diff tractors, with things, brackets, braces, regulators, ect.... so I guess it would bw hard to say for sure what went in the hole, and no do not add oil, only on the ends where the bearings are located, in they have oiler caps, little doors that open to add a few drops of light oil, as for capping or filling the hole that is up to you, but if you do make sure you use a short bolt or screw. That's my two cents :omg: