71_Bronco

K321S Question

71_Bronco

So I am starting work again on my Bronco 14, that I bought / tore apart a few years back.

When I bought the tractor, it smoked a little when it started if I remember correctly, but ran well. I don't really want to do a full tear down (although it is probably the right thing to do since the motor is out).

I was thinking about doing some minor work to the engine since it is out, like pulling the head, making sure everything looks okay, and a new gasket, checking the points (not sure if this motor has them), and just cleaning it up nice.

Is there anything I should look for? Or suggestions on what I should do?

Also, on a side note, are these motors any good? I'd like to keep the original motor if possible.

ebinmaine

I mostly just chiming in to say I'll be following along. I want to see what everybody else has to say. Couple things that come to mind.

Take a couple extra minutes and clean out the fins to make sure you get good airflow.

Definitely recommend removing the cylinder head so you can look in there. See if there is a ridge at the top of the cylinder. That would indicate excessive wear.

Also want to resurface the cylinder head before you put it back together.

I'm not specifically familiar with the 14 horse but the Kohler single-cylinder line in general is very very good.

roadapples

Clean breather below carburetor. If really dirty can cause some smoking. Be sure to get it back the way it came off...