SimonC

who am I, help

SimonC

Hi,

lots of questions .... 

I just acquired a WH tractor

I've pretty much narrowed the year/model to a few options but I could really use the community's knowledge to get a definite answer.

my guesstimate is that this would be a raider 10 1970 or 1971 but I might be wrong.

based on the pictures, it seems like the tractor has had a lot of DYI jobs done to it over the years, everything that needs to work does, but it clearly needs some TLC.

few questions that comes to mind

- the grill or shroud or mesh (whatever it's called, picture 20180912_090712.jpg) on the flywheel/fan is missing.  I'd like to cover it so grass doesn't get in too easily. It seems like the screw holes might need to be tapped, someone knows the screw size (I looked at all diagrams but could not find any showing this grill) - are there aftermarket mesh that fits ?

- there is a box with a heat shield top that is no longer hooked to anything (picture 20180912_090502.jpg) any idea what that is ?

- idle seems pretty high, I'd love some pointers on how to adjust it properly

- there is a tag for the engine, but I dont see any model/serial number tags anywhere else on the tractor (20180912_090607.jpg)

I'll start with that :)

this community looks great, looking forward to be the one helping out.

thanks

Simon

20180912_090712.jpg

20180912_090701.jpg

20180912_090631.jpg

20180912_090619.jpg

20180912_090607.jpg

20180912_090601.jpg

20180912_090551.jpg

20180912_090511.jpg

20180912_090508.jpg

20180912_090505.jpg

20180912_090502.jpg

20180912_090455.jpg

20180912_090451.jpg

20180912_090444.jpg

20180912_090426.jpg

20180912_090420.jpg

20180912_090416.jpg

20180912_090407.jpg

20180912_090351.jpg

20180912_090341.jpg

20180912_090330.jpg

Edited by SimonC
became supported, uploaded pics.
  • Like 2

Daron1965

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  I continue to learn something new everyday from the knowledgeable people on here. 

WHX??

:WRS: Simon

Definitely has some interesting mods done to it. Others will be along to :text-welcomeconfetti: you and provide a better Id. See if there is a tag just under the dash with numbers on it. If all you find are two small holes the tag is gone.  First look it appears to be an early 70's no name.

One of these will help with the picture posting problem. We do like our :text-coolphotos: here!

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 1

WHX??
25 minutes ago, SimonC said:

someone knows the screw size

!/4-20 course thread on those.

A piece of hardware cloth properly fitted would work.

There should be an idle adjust screw somewhere near the top throttle linkage to adjust.

Edited by WHX20

SimonC
15 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

:WRS: Simon

Definitely has some interesting mods done to it. Others will be along to :text-welcomeconfetti: you and provide a better Id. See if there is a tag under the dash with numbers on it. First look it appears to be an early 70's no name.

One of these will help with the picture posting problem. We do like our :text-coolphotos: here!

didn't notice this was available.  Just subscribed.  thanks

• Excellent 5

WHX??

Thank you sir, helps keep the lights on around here and ad free. You can now upload unlimited pics right here. Other sites have been known to hold our pics hostage.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Achto
30 minutes ago, SimonC said:

- there is a box with a heat shield top that is no longer hooked to anything (picture 20180912_090502.jpg) any idea what that is ?

:WRS:

I'm guessing that the box circled in white is the one in question. This is the voltage regulator, there should be two lines coming from the engine that will produce AC voltage when the engine is running. These two wires will connect to the out side terminals on the regulator. The center terminal on the regulator should be connected to the ignition switch at a terminal that is powered up in the on position 

5b991db5cb575_20180912_0905021.jpg.de41bf308050684a80c8523118b58942.jpg

In the yellow circle it looks like some one welded the belt guard to the dash stand.:confusion-scratchheadyellow: :( This will make it hard to change the drive belt when needed. It should be a great tractor after you get the bugs worked out. 

• Like 1

SimonC
2 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

Thank you sir, helps keep the lights on around here and ad free. You can now upload unlimited pics right here. Other sites have been known to hold our pics hostage.

Capture.JPG

I wasn't worried about onedrive as I'm paying for it, but already edited my post to add the pictures on the forum instead.  thanks :)

Simon

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SimonC
1 minute ago, Achto said:

:WRS:

I'm guessing that the box circled in white is the one in question. This is the voltage regulator, there should be two lines coming from the engine that will produce AC voltage when the engine is running. These two wires will connect to the out side terminals on the regulator. The center terminal on the regulator should be connected to the ignition switch at a terminal that is powered up in the on position 

5b991db5cb575_20180912_0905021.jpg.de41bf308050684a80c8523118b58942.jpg

In the yellow circle it looks like some one welded the belt guard to the dash stand.:confusion-scratchheadyellow: :( This will make it hard to change the drive belt when needed. It should be a great tractor after you get the bugs worked out. 

what is the tractor needing AC voltage for, isn't everything running on DC 12V ? 

right now nothing is connected to it, once I know the exact model I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram I guess :)

thanks

Achto
7 minutes ago, SimonC said:

what is the tractor needing AC voltage for, isn't everything running on DC 12V ? 

The stator on the engine produces AC power. The regulator / rectifier changes it to DC power & knocks it down to 13-14vdc. This type of system is usually more reliable than a straight DC generator. 

For the engine parts & diagrams will need to look under the engine model (Tecumseh SBH 225) The Wheel Horse manuals will give you parts & info on the rest of the tractor.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

SimonC
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

The stator on the engine produces AC power. The regulator / rectifier changes it to DC power & knocks it down to 13-14vdc. This type of system is usually more reliable than a straight DC generator. 

For the engine parts & diagrams will need to look under the engine model (Tecumseh SBH 225) 

so if this AC to DC box is not hooked up, how is the battery currently able to get charged ? 

Achto
Just now, SimonC said:

so if this AC to DC box is not hooked up, how is the battery currently able to get charged ? 

I would guess that it is not charging. Unless there is something else rigged up that the pictures do not show.

WHX??
5 minutes ago, SimonC said:

battery currently able to get charged

Might not be getting charged so keep an eye on that. I'm thinking this may be a repo Dan so does a Techy have a different charging system?

Thanks for bringing your pics here Simon :handgestures-thumbupright: makes it much easier for us to help you.

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2

SimonC
10 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

Might not be getting charged so keep an eye on that. I'm thinking this may be a repo Dan so does a Techy have a different charging system?

other than charging the battery and lights (which are not working ATM), are there any other things on these WH that rely on DC power to work properly ?

--- edit 

and starter clearly :)

Edited by SimonC
obvious miss

WHX??

Apologies Simon, repo = repower or motor swap. Techy slang for Tecumseh, the kind of motor you have. Resto short for restored. Lots of others  Your English is fine, mine sucks but guaranteed  my French will be worse! We have a tendency to use American slang terms here and sometimes forget others may not know the meaning. If it comes up again just ask. :)

Good eye on the possible belt guard weld Dan.

Edited by WHX20

SimonC
19 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

I'll check and see how much voltage I have at the battery pole when the tractor is running.  clearly if I have over 12 something's feeding it power :)

based on all my reading, whenever someone does a REPO (eh I can use the slang also now :p) the norm seems to go with a kohler engine.  but who knows.  Are those regulator not used on both tecumseh and kohler engines ? 

thanks again

Simon

• Haha 1

Achto
5 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

I'm thinking this may be a repo Dan so does a Techy have a different charging system?

Checked some of the diagrams from models with Techy, looked the same as later Kohler's.

I'm not up to date with every thing on Tecumseh's . I did find info that states that you engine was replaced at one time.

SHORT BLOCKS.

New short blocks are identifiedby a tag marked SBH (Short Block Horizontal) orSBV (Short Block Vertical). Original model tags ofengines should always be transferred to a short blockfor correct parts identification.

From the looks of you tractor I agree that you have a Raider. The manuals from 1968 - 1972 should be very similar. you can down load them for free on this site.

SimonC
20 minutes ago, Achto said:

Checked some of the diagrams from models with Techy, looked the same as later Kohler's.

I'm not up to date with every thing on Tecumseh's . I did find info that states that you engine was replaced at one time.

SHORT BLOCKS.

New short blocks are identifiedby a tag marked SBH (Short Block Horizontal) orSBV (Short Block Vertical). Original model tags ofengines should always be transferred to a short blockfor correct parts identification.

From the looks of you tractor I agree that you have a Raider. The manuals from 1968 - 1972 should be very similar. you can down load them for free on this site.

that was another question, my tag says sbh-225, so I know it's a hh100, however it seems like there are multiple versions of those depending on when it was build (like a switch midway through 1970 production - assuming I have a raider 10), not sure how to pinpoint the exact one.  I didn't see any serial number build/listing for engine that would help with that.

thanks

Edited by SimonC

Achto
22 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I didn't see any serial number build/listing for engine that would help with that.

Unfortunately who ever installed your short block did not install the tag from the original engine. :( This would have helped you out. According to Tractor Data  ( which is pretty accurate, but can be wrong) the HH-100 was used through 1972 on the Raider 10. The different engine versions were usually costumer based, an example would be that John Deere might have wanted some special feature like a special shaped air cleaner to gain clearance. These are usually minor differences and most parts for an HH-100 model are interchangeable with other HH-100's. 

Edited by Achto

Achto

Is the ID tag for the tractor missing? It should be under the dash on the dash support.

SimonC
28 minutes ago, Achto said:

Unfortunately who ever installed your short block did not install the tag from the original engine. :( This would have helped you out. According to Tractor Data  ( which is pretty accurate, but can be wrong) the HH-100 was used through 1972 on the Raider 10. The different engine versions were usually costumer based, an example would be that John Deere might have wanted some special feature like a special shaped air cleaner to gain clearance. These are usually minor differences and most parts for an HH-100 model are interchangeable with other HH-100's. 

when I say different model of hh100 I'm referring to this file: 

Tractor 1970 Raider 10 & Raider 12 IPL #A-5203.pdf

the page 9 talks about B and C engine introduced mid year.  some of the parts on the diagrams refers to B version.  hence my desire to figure out what I have.

thanks

Simon

SimonC
24 minutes ago, Achto said:

Is the ID tag for the tractor missing? It should be under the dash on the dash support.

doh

I missed it because it's painted over.

guess part of the mistery is resolved, I have a 1970.  Now just need to find out with the serial number if I have the early 70's or late 70's engine model :)

20180912_121208.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

1-6041 appears to be the early 1970 number. 1-6051 being a later 1970 number

gwest_ca

The 1-6041 is a 1969 model. There are places online including Toro that thinks it is a 1970 model.

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1

SimonC
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

1-6041 appears to be the early 1970 number. 1-6051 being a later 1970 number

thanks you !

I tried to find one without luck so far, would someone happen to have a picture of a dash with all that should be there, mine is pretty ... well there's no real word to properly describe it's condition .. :)

wondering what the rubber band is for... (like this was the biggest concern lol)

20180912_121200.jpg

20180912_121217.jpg