IthacaJeff

Daughter's first mow

AMC RULES

:scratchead: So, how'd she do with the parallel parking Jeff?  :auto-swerve:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tankman

Thumbs up! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Daughter looks pleased, enjoying doin’ your wo....wo.....WORK.

Another one of your chores, gone! Snow soon, coffee and buns while you watch the siblings plow or blow white wet cold nasty stuff this winter? Slippers ‘n robe?  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

stevasaurus

I like that "family rule" you have there...it makes a lot of since, cents, sense.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  BTW, that is an excellent picture.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Daron1965

Great post,  great family memories.  Great picture.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

IthacaJeff
6 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:scratchead: So, how'd she do with the parallel parking Jeff?  :auto-swerve:

Good one!

Funny thing is, this summer I eliminated mowing the 1 ac "playing field", and it now takes half the time to mow.
I'm not burned out of too much seat time, so having my chores taken is not a big deal.  Same with plowing

come winter. I love going out a midnight with only me and the snow and the 310-8. However, perhaps getting

them the opportunity to appreciate that would be good for them!

Edited by IthacaJeff
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Sarge

One thing I've always had a lot of pride with my daughter - fearless when it comes to mechanical things/vehicles. She drove my lifted Samurai with her learner's permit, ceramic clutch and no power steering with 33x12.50 Swampers and all (albeit through the neighbor lady's front yard). At 14, we had her drive a buddy's Ma Duece 6x6 ('74 White 2.5ton) with no power steering in a field, that one did make her a bit nervous. I even had her back out a conventional Peterbuilt out of the shop once - she grinned the whole time. 

My rule was simple - from food to everything else, all that was required is you at least try - she was reluctant a lot but learned a lot of things in the end. I say it's a good thing, although the Demo Derby made Dad a bit nervous last weekend, lol....she wants to do that again!

Sarge

• Excellent 3

WHX??
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, IthacaJeff said:

sure why I feel compelled to post this

Just a wild guess here...... because you are proud of her?!?!? Thanks for sharing! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

neil

You’ve lost that tractor now , you’re gonna have to buy another one 

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• bmsgaffer
      By bmsgaffer
      To anyone who thinks Toro ruined Wheel Horse: you have not tried an XI. 

Yesterday I mowed my grass for the first time with my XI with a fairly junky deck that has re-welds and braces that cause clogs. That is an awesome machine to mow with. The weight of it really gives you a smooth ride and it also allowed me to sidecut my hill (though I will be putting wheel weights on next time, just a BIT tippy). 25HP really allowed that 48" deck to chew through the tall wet grass and other than the clogging (caused by a poorly positioned brace welded in) it just took it all no problem. The electric clutch holds steady and doesn't allow slipping.

I was so impressed. The power steering, while not precise, is effortless and you get used to it pretty fast. While it is almost a foot longer than my 520 was, it can turn in a much smaller radius. It was just a delight to drive. The pedals are positioned well and have good feedback. The extra bit of adjustments they added to the deck work nicely and the front anti-scalp wheels are so much better! Getting on and off with no tunnel is pretty awesome too. And on top of all of that, it still feels like a Wheel Horse. Anyone that has driven lots of brands of tractors will tell you you can feel the brand of tractor that you are driving, and this feels like a horse.

Will I be selling off my classics? No. They all have their strong points but I feel that the XI is highly underrated by many. I have had this unit for less than a year and I don't feel like that attachments are too hard to come by. I own a NOS tiller for it now, a mower deck, plow, and snowblower. All pretty reasonably priced.

Is it a perfect machine? NO. It is still a garden tractor and it is not a SCUT or zero turn. There are of course some things that some companies had that would have made it even better (and aesthetics, c'mon now!), but I can tell you that Toro took the heart of a wheel horse and in almost every way made it better. If the heavy duty, high quality garden tractor were still a feasible market today, I am certain that Wheel Horse would be a top competitor.

So thank you Toro for keeping WH alive for all those years and thank you for the XI. That is an awesome machine.

Ok. End of ramble... Now... Does anyone have a really good condition 44 or 48" deck for an XI they want to sell? 

• W9JAB
      By W9JAB
      RICHARDSON (CBS11) – In Richardson, a robot is reporting for its first day on the job.
      Dallas lawn care startup, Robin has installed 50 robotic lawnmowers in North Texas, with plans to roll out 50 to 100 more every month.
      “We’ve been running a lawn care business for the last 2 years. It’s grown very quickly to 6,000 customers. We see this as an opportunity to create a more reliable experience for our customers,” says Co-Founder and CEO Justin Crandall.
      The cutting-edge technology has neighbors doing double takes.
      “Robots are cool! People love them,” says Bart Lomont, Co-Founder and VP of Operations.
      Convenience is another big draw.
      “Mowing the lawn is done with a machine. It’s been done with a machine since the lawn mower was invented. We’re taking the last piece, the human element out of it,” says Lamont, adding the technology frees up crews to work with their hands, and use their skillsets to provide lawn care.
      Patrick McGregor is one of Robin’s newest customers. He says he’s willing to embrace the Jetsons-esque technology if it means keeping his lawn looking freshly-cut.
      “I’m not quite getting inside the shower getting teeth brushed for me robotically,” he jokes.
      “I don’t have to worry about it. It’s going to do the job on its own. That’s huge,” McGregor says.
      The machines move in a random pattern like Roomba vacuum cleaners. They mind the wire fence that goes around a property, like the vacuum would navigate around walls.
      “When the robot is approaching your flower beds or the street, it knows it’s coming close to the wire, so it won’t run into the street,” Lomont explains.
      During its infancy stage, a few of the robots fell victim to thieves. GPS trackers and stickers warning thieves will be prosecuted, have curbed the problem.
      Robotic lawn mower technology is hugely popular in Europe, but slow to catch on it America. Crandall says product costs–$1,500 to $4,000–is one reason. Fenced-in backyards have proven to be another barrier. Robin has found a way around that.
      “We invented and patented a door that allows the mower to go in between the yards, but also locks to keep your pets inside,” says Crandall.
      McGregor says the price point ended up being about the same as what he paid for traditional lawn care service.
      Plans start at $99 a month for the mower only. There is an installation fee.
      Packages that include work done by humans, like edging and weeding, go up from there.
      http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/04/06/robots-take-over-tedious-chore-mowing-lawns/

• HorseSense
      By HorseSense
      What kind of baggers, if any, are available for Wheel Horse tractors? I'd appreciate any information and photos y'all might have.
    • Thisguyisnew
      By Thisguyisnew
      You guys ever encounter toads while mowing? I don't want to run any over but it's like they have a death wish or something... Any suggestions
    • Thisguyisnew
      By Thisguyisnew
      Still amazing to think this tractor had been sitting as long as it had before I got it. Been mowing ever since, of course had to put work into it but nothing major. The grass it's able to cut enables me to mow  on my schedule with one pass. Saving me so much time. It came with a plow and tiller but don't think I want to be using those. For a couple of reasons... One don't have that much of a need right now, and two don't want to put to much wear on a thirty-something year old trans. Mows like a champ want to keep it that way. Am I wrong?