mc1960

Tire recommendations

mc1960

The turf tires on my C-160 are pretty much dry rotted although they are holding air. I am going to be taking them off so that I can clean up the wheels and probably powder coat them. I was thinking about going back with lug style on the rear and ribbed ones on the front, any recommendations on where to get these?  Rear is 23x8.50-12 front 16x6.50-8. Thanks for you help and ideas. Mark

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Mark I think you're going to find that the world of tires is kind of like the world of Paint. There's a million different ideas from a million different people.

None of them are necessarily right or wrong.

I personally have a leaning preference towards Carlisle as a brand.

I've used them on the forklift at work and because of that I bought them for my own tractor.

You could try to find some online which is what I normally do. You may also want to contact A - Z tractor. He does sell used tires as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Not a ton of options on the lug tires in the 23x8.50-12. I have found that ebay is the cheapest place to get a pair of lug tires is that size. 

Now for the front's I personally i like the tri ribs in the 16x6.5-8. They look beefy and steering is a breeze. I have a set on a John Deere 110 and love them.

http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/16x6-50-8/16x6-50-8-firestone-3-rib-front-4-ply/

There is also a set of rib tires from vredestine that look beefy too. I've never had a set, but I've seen pictures of them on a tractor and they look great! There are cheaper options, but these are the ones that look the best in my opinion. 

http://www.millertire.com/products/implement-tires/rib-implement-tires/16x6-50-8/16x6-50-8-v61-hd-5-rib-170-60-8-6-ply/

• Like 2

Skipper

Also consider that some brands are not true to size, and that a "round" thread area AG tire seems a lot smaller than a flat thread area tire. If you want a round thread area, I would step it up to 10.5 wide, as the 8.5's often seem a bit narrow. But it's all a matter of taste.

Ply rating: The more ply, the stronger the tire, but also the stiffer, so if you want any kind of flex in your tire ( you most likely want that ), you should aim for 2 ply, and certainly not over 4 ply.

Besides that, for the use these tractors normally see, I do not think brand matters much. Go for what you think looks good, and let the reason govern you :-)

• Like 3

ACman

I outfitted my 520H with turf Hi-Runs on back from Walmart and RubberMaster turf on front from Miller tire . All were 4ply and tread patterns matched (seems like they use the same mold with just another name on the side) perfectly . I got all four tires delivered to my door for $150 . If I used the Hi-Runs from Walmart on the front which were a little smaller I could have had all them delivered to my door for $130 . This was a year and a half ago . Checking out Walmart prices right now and it still looks like there’s some smoking good deals on tires . The Hi-Runs are the same tire TSC sells for half the price .  https://www.walmart.com/browse/tires/lawn-mower-tires/91083_1077064_541325?adid=22222222254331470543&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=b&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=226795572624&wl4=dsa-355410884790&wl5=9017422&wl6=18551013848&wl7=&wl8=&veh=sem

Also check Home Depot and Lowe’s and your favorite online auction site :techie-ebay: . Just use your due diligence searching the net :techie-typing: and you’ll find a good deal . Good luck 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

mc1960

I am not very tire/rim literate, so a 10.50 will fit on the same rim as a 8.50? If so what would be the effect, would the 10.50 be wider and flatter across? Thanks

• Like 1