"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jump to content
TonyToro

Clutch Springs or custom spring setups info please

7 posts in this topic

I searched the site and found some good older threads but no pictures. Pictures help me. lol

Does anyone have experience with a heavier clutch spring, if so item number please. Another thought I have been having and discovered some have done is add another spring for tension. If anyone has success with these please send pictures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

I use the 108035 (current #)on my 68 500 Special, 76 B/C Series, 2005 Classic and countless other tractors through the years. Basically I haven't seen a 2 piece transmission that spring won't work on just fine. Not so with the 5003/5010 3 piece transmissions. On later models any sort of dampening device gets removed and just the spring is utilized. What issues are you having where you think you need a stronger spring? :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Last season we smoked a belt on the Raider 12. Installed a new spring from my local dealer and everything has been fine. 

We are thinking of building a 14hp full out performance engine. 

I am thinking to add some more spring pressure to keep the belt from slipping with the added horse power. I have read some guys installed an extra spring but I haven't seen where it is located. 

I didn't keep the package from the spring I got but it could have been the same part number you suggested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Stock belts, stock spring and stock pulleys and so far 0 belt slip. Even with the V twin pulling in 3H. It's rated at 22hp ;).  

IMG_20180501_164542.jpg

IMG_20180421_165509.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 hours ago, TonyToro said:

installed an extra spring but I haven't seen where it is located. 

 

I didn't keep the package from the spring I got but it could have been the same part number you suggested. 

I put an extra spring INSIDE the factory spring on my B80 because the one on it was a bit weak and I changed to a 2 inch engine pulley to slow the tractor down. I found with the smaller pulley I needed more tension.

It is just an extra from the parts box.

Just bring the existing one to a good parts store and match it up. Mine had one curled end and I bent the straight end where I needed.

 

RCPW sells the above spring for under $10 including freight. Least expensive I've found. It's a Toro brand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I put an extra spring INSIDE the factory spring on my B80 because the one on it was a bit weak and I changed to a 2 inch engine pulley to slow the tractor down. I found with the smaller pulley I needed more tension.

It is just an extra from the parts box.

Just bring the existing one to a good parts store and match it up. Mine had one curled end and I bent the straight end where I needed.

 

RCPW sells the above spring for under $10 including freight. Least expensive I've found. It's a Toro brand.

 

Smaller pulley may not have enough belt surface area causing slipping. Possibly try stock front pulley and larger back pulley. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, fast88pu said:

Smaller pulley may not have enough belt surface area causing slipping. Possibly try stock front pulley and larger back pulley. 

Kyle, I think you're absolutely correct about that.

I've got it pretty much solved for now I think.

The reason for the pulley swap was too slow down reverse gear. I put on the smallest front pulley I could find and bent the tabs in on the end of the belt guard to support the belt better.

I tried to find a larger rear pulley but had very limited luck without having to spend a lot of money.

 

I now have an 8-speed sitting in the shed waiting to be installed in that tractor. That will certainly give me the low range I'm looking for... but it's going to be a few months before I get to it I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×