pfrederi

Beautiful new Seat Cover for L107

pfrederi

Got a new seat cover and foam pad for my L107 today from Bob Ellison.  Beautiful workmanship...but there is a problem.  i am not sure I want to install it.  My father bought her new in 1967 and she has been busy ever since.  She is my year round chore tractor and frankly my britches are not always that clean when I sit on her.  This cover is so nice I am not sure I want to get it dirty.  The other half was very impressed, she made a replacement cover about 20-25 year ago (not nearly as nice) but is is coming apart and more brown than white.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

This cover is so nice I am not sure I want to get it dirty.

:text-yeahthat:        That's a fact, the one I got from Bob is on my 1055 and is beautiful.           :wwp:

• Like 3

rjg854

I personally think Bob will be very pleased with your appreciation of his magnificent work on the seat he made for you. I also think that the seat cover has a purpose, use it with joy and thankfulness for its intended reason. In other words, enjoy it. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

She is my year round chore tractor and frankly my britches are not always that clean when I sit on her. 

I got this.

Problem solved.

Do some work. Change britches. Move tractor. 

Repeat as needed. ...

Now, this may slow your processes down a bit and likely create more loads of laundry to do...

But !!

The new seat cover should stay cleaner, longer.

• Haha 2

953 nut

Hay Paul, I wonder if these are made for a :wh:?        :ychain:

Image result for clear plastic auto seat covers fifties

• Like 4

squonk
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

EGAD!!! I remember how hot those things got! No shorts allowed! :)

• Haha 1

pfrederi

My wife suggested a similar cover

• Like 1

clueless
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

My grandmother had one of those covers on the front seat of her big ass Chrysler Imperial, when she would take us to the beach all five of us road in the back seat. Nobody ever called shotgun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: You got it to use it...

my bet is it gets all patina-ed up, and matches the tractor in no time. 

• Like 3

squonk
14 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Got a new seat cover and foam pad for my L107 today from Bob Ellison.  Beautiful workmanship...but there is a problem.  i am not sure I want to install it.  My father bought her new in 1967 and she has been busy ever since.  She is my year round chore tractor and frankly my britches are not always that clean when I sit on her.  This cover is so nice I am not sure I want to get it dirty.  The other half was very impressed, she made a replacement cover about 20-25 year ago (not nearly as nice) but is is coming apart and more brown than white.

:wwp:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

After observing my daughter's four legged horse obsession for years...the one (only) thing I know about them other horses is that you keep your saddle and tack clean...

Now mind you - I have NEVER subscribed to this theory with my C-105's seat. She works and don't like to take baths...But maybe you just gotta get the saddle soap out and rub your little :wh: L107's seat every now and then...

:twocents-02cents:

• Haha 1

Sarge

Use Aerospace 303, will keep stains at bay, UV protection and prevent cracking. I've used it for years on seats, steering wheel and tonneau covers, keeps them like new. The stuff works far better than anything else out there, but doesn't cause any buildup over time.

Sarge

pfrederi
Just now, Sarge said:

Use Aerospace 303, will keep stains at bay, UV protection and prevent cracking. I've used it for years on seats, steering wheel and tonneau covers, keeps them like new. The stuff works far better than anything else out there, but doesn't cause any buildup over time.

Sarge

I was going to ask you about that i bought a bottle a couple months ago but have only used it on my winter horses (all black seats)  Does it do well on White???

Sarge

No difference on various colors,  the stuff just plain works. One of the very few products that actually does exactly what the label says it will do. When it needs retreated,  the vinyl will show you when the surface starts to feel "dry".

If you have any of that rotten black ABS plastic on your vehicle,  use the same stuff on it - doesn't attract dirt and keeps it from chalking. Same with rubber stripping and seals...and keeps both a nice, matte black as they should be. I originally tried it out on my Dakota years ago when I got it used. All the plastic and rubber was starting to get dry aging, especially the tonneau cover. When I sold that truck it brought a lot more than market value due to how good those parts looked. The guy that bought it wanted my '07 because it looked new, not like any others that had the chalking problems. He swore everything had been replaced and that was the reason for the price. I sent him home with a partial bottle and the truck,  lol.

I go through a fair amount of the stuff, have tested it on a lot of materials and have yet to find any issues. Even if you accidentally get it on a polycarbonate vehicle gauge cluster, washes off easily with glass cleaner.

The original bakelite steering wheel in my Land Cruiser is worth a fortune. I wanted to preserve it since it's a work truck and really didn't like the diameter of that wheel. Opted for a good used 80 series padded wheel from a '95 model,  but they are highly known for cracking badly. It had some minor,  fine cracking when I got it, that was over 4yrs ago, still looks the same. Most, if parked in the sun will fall apart in a few years but 303 has kept it nice.

Hate to sound like a salesman,  but I won't use anything else.

Sarge

19richie66

303 protectant is some great stuff. :handgestures-thumbup: expensive but you get what you pay for.

squonk

Never heard of it. Where do you get it? 

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

Never heard of it. Where do you get it? 

303.JPG

squonk

I hate buying online. Was hoping Wally or Lowes would carry it.

19richie66

Got mine at advanced auto. Some marine/ boating places have it also.

Edited by 19richie66

Sarge

JC Whitney also carries it in stock.I wish more retail places had it, one of my favorite products out there.

Sarge

pfrederi

When the nearest Hardware / Auto parts is 15 miles away and bigger stores 25 you get used to on line. Mr Brown (UPS) and I are on a first name basis:P

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

When the nearest Hardware / Auto parts is 15 miles away and bigger stores 25 you get used to on line. Mr Brown (UPS) and I are on a first name basis:P

I just buy online cuz I'm ... chea.... uhhh.... frugal.

squonk

Checked my local Advance stores. Of course they don't stock it.:rolleyes:

Does this stuff make a seat slippery like Armor All? 

Edited by squonk

pfrederi

No

7 minutes ago, squonk said:

Checked my local Advance stores. Of course they don't stock it.:rolleyes:

Does this stuff make a seat slippery like Armor All? 

No i was worried about that but I didn't fall off any of my snow horses.

Sarge

Oddly,  it does not make surfaces slick. You can feel a difference , but in no way does it act or feel like any other protestant. No wax-like feel or glossy finish,  no runoff or dripping/runs and you do not have to spray it directly on the surface. In many cases,  just easier to spray it on a rag to apply it. Also,  it does do some cleaning and the rags need changed out often. I prefer to just use old cotton washcloths, just toss 'em when they get dirty.

Really dislike microfiber towels,  they mostly refuse to absorb much and can leave a lot of fine pieces of the fabric. Good old cotton heavyweight cloths are better but getting tough to find. I still prefer flour sack towels for my glasses and windows,  but getting quality ones is almost impossible. Cotton diapers are still the best but few stores stock them,  or they are thin as paper and made in China.

Sarge