Mike-416

Howling when driving

Mike-416

Hello all, 

I am new to Red Square and am already impressed with the support and knowledge of all members. I have a 416-8 that I just received from my grandfather. I have such fond memories of driving around splitting wood on 19 acres as a little boy and am thrilled to now have his Wheelhorse. I am noticing a howling when the tractor is under load. Flush and add new fluid to tranny or is it potentially more of an issue? Thank you for your time in advance, the other Mike from mass. 

Edited by Mike-416
  • Like 1

wallfish

:WRS:

Drive belt Slipping would be my first guess.

• Like 2

WH nut
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

:WRS:

Drive belt Slipping would be my first guess.

Or Idler pulley

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:               :WRS:              General maintenance, new oil, belt and idler should help. When draining the transmission be sure to jack up the front of the tractor for a complete draining. If the oil doesn't look right you may want to flush it with diesel oil prior to adding new gear oil.

• Like 1

Mike-416

Let me start off by saying I am mechanically challenged. The current gear oil is  green. What is the proper fluid? And flush with diesel fuel?. Thank you all for your information. 

Edited by Mike-416

Mike-416
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:               :WRS:              General maintenance, new oil, belt and idler should help. When draining the transmission be sure to jack up the front of the tractor for a complete draining. If the oil doesn't look right you may want to flush it with diesel oil prior to adding new gear oil.

Let me start off by saying I am mechanically challenged. The current gear oil is  green. What is the proper fluid? And flush with diesel fuel?. 

• Confused 1

pfrederi

Flush with diesel use 90w GL5 gear oil  (or 85/90w. 75/90w or even 75/140)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS

@Mike-416 :WRS:

As others have said. flush with diesel fuel. I have had to flush 2 or 3 times on some really bad/dirty transmissions.

The drain plug should be on the bottom left hand side of the transmission while you are standing behind the tractor. Raising the front end of the tractor will help to get more old oil (as well as the cleaning fluid you use) out of the housing.

While the diesel (or kerosene) is in the transmission/rear-end, drive the tractor around in each gear as well as reverse. Do this easy on the tractor (don't drive it like you stole it!) This will get the diesel everywhere it needs to be to clean the transmission and bearings.

On  occasions, I have added the new oil, run it a while, then drain and refill with new oil, as not every drop of diesel will drain out, therefore "diluting" the new oil some. Not much, but just enough that I think it needs done 2 time. (OCD on some things)!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1