Sign in to follow this  
"Manic-Mechanic"

8hp Briggs-Flat Top Ignition Module

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I just changed the points & condenser over to ignition module. I hope the polarity of the flywheel will permit spark, otherwise the wiring would need to be reversed. I have concerns about heat inside the old points enclosure. I worked in stages as the temp was at 14! (I had no room to work with the door to the shop closed). I stopped at this juncture to get opinions before I tighten up the flywheel and set the gap accordingly......

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

• Like 1

oldredrider

Heat shouldn't be a problem. Polarity doesn't matter. You should be good to go.

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I will finish it up then, cool, thanks

Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"
20 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Heat shouldn't be a problem. Polarity doesn't matter. You should be good to go.

Hello,

I found the spark and became excited immediately! The whole machine bounces on the springs, so while pulling the cord  trying to see the spark was fun. You know it fired right up second pull! Running I opened the choke and a slow stall would kick in. I closed the choke and let it run, then reached down to the mixture screw nudged it back and forth, slow stall again! Opened the choke quick and viola, she ran perfect, in fact a bit high on the throttle as it produced 250 v. I can tweak it later on.

Funny though, the conventional spark-plug, spark tester didn't fire? You were right, it didn't heat up the chip. I like the chip under the points cover, can't go anywhere if it gets loose, (which I hope it doesn't do).

Glad it is running great, doesn't miss a stroke or smoke!

Oldman

• Like 1

Red144runner

I used to run older large frame toro snow blowers to do driveways. The last one I had was an '80 8/26. Great commercial machine. First storm one winter it wouldn't start. No spark. I had a spare solid state coil so I called my dealer to see what was involved (swapping flywheel at least). Nope, cut the points wire, pulled the old coil off, new one on set the air gap with a business card and ran reliably ever since. I think Briggs switched to solid state electronic round about '80-'81

• Excellent 2