formariz

tire studs

formariz
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

They only drawback back I can see with the screws if you do loose some then they end up where :dunno: the said AG tires, the front tires or you vehicle tires?  I'm not saying you don't have a great idea here but just waying the cons with the pros, to take your idea one step father would be those Terra Grip rubber chains with 10-24 or 1/4-20 machine screws with flat washers and nuts to hold them securely across the links, non the less you had a problem and you found a way to solve it that works for you :handgestures-thumbup:, Jeff.

Believe me, since woodworking is my profession there are always plenty of screws around on the ground regardless of how careful one is.Had them stuck in tires countless times. However these are only 7/16" long and I never had one that short actually puncture a tire leading me to be comfortable with the idea.

31 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The studs used in studded snow tires are made of tungsten carbide and do provide a traction advantage, but do mark up pavement when you get tire spin. The softer metal used foe screws may be a good solution for our slower moving :wh:.

Its like anything else. Fifteen years ago when pavement was new, a drop of oil on it would drive me insane and had to be cleaned immediately. I wouldn't even use a metal snow shovel on it. Now it just doesn't phase me. Chains mark it also if they slip. After a couple of months scratches disappear any way from dirt and oxidation.

• Like 3