burk1231

briggs stator help

burk1231

i got a gt1800 tractor i just repowered with a 18hp opposed from a craftsman lawn tractor.the prob is it has a one wire stator when old one had a two wire red black.just wondering if there is a easy way to wire this so it will charge battery ok.thanx for the help.

gwest_ca

First you need to identify what charging system you have now

This file should explain what you need

Post what you figure out and someone can likely verify or help.

Garry

burk1231

from what i can tell it is the ac only alt.with one black wire with white connector.the original motor had a 2 wire setup thancks 

all

• Like 1

Achto

Some B&S engines use a single wire non regulated low amp charging system.

With the engine running test that single wire with a meter using the block as your ground. You should have 13+ volts DC from the wire. If this is the case, hook that wire to the battery and your good to go. If you are not reading DC voltage then try setting the meter to AC voltage. If you are getting 13+ volt AC then you will need to install a diode between the wire and the battery with the stripe on the diode towards the battery.

burk1231

tx will check out.

Achto

Let us know what you find.

ericj

if you have the old motor,,,,, you could possible swap  stater and possible fly wheel over to new motor ????

eric j

Sarge

There should be a set of numbers on that engine - model/spec/serial and most Briggs it's stamped into the tins . Note those numbers and look the engine up - you can find the electrical system and typical wiring diagrams that way. I agree - most single wire Briggs engines will have a non-regulated 3 amp charging wire - that is it . Hopefully, that twin is either a Vangaurd or Twin II opposed - those engines are pretty tough and will last .

Sarge

• Like 1

burk1231

the motor is an opposed twin not vanguard maybe a opposed 2 not sure but ill look for numbers and get back thanx to all  that replied.

Howie

If that stator does in deed have the black wire and the white connector my manuals say it is an ac only price intended for lights only. There is another one with black wire and green connector that is a 9 amp unit. To me the simplest way would be to use the one from the old engine. I think they used two flywheels on those engines with the size of the magnets being the difference. Old one may have been a 3 amp with black wire for the lights.