Desko

Sunstrand hydro pistons

Desko

Okay so I've been thinking would there be any interest in new remade pistons for the sunstrand hydro thats in the D and C series? I am certified machinist and they don't look like they'd be too bad to make. Of course I'd need to find out the hardness of them and the original spec on size but I think if there's enough interest I'll drop the coin on a lathe (not a huge one) and make a couple sets. 

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

Being a certified machinist, I'm sure you know they are hardened & lapped to dedicated cylinders in the rotating group. You would need to start with a cylinder body, which should not be scarce. Might help some of us keep some of the hydro's alive instead of parting them out.

Desko

Yes sir most of the parts dont look too bad to make but if there's not enough interest to recover the cost of everything its probably not worth the time. If I had a cnc mill I could program and make all the plates for it etc 

pfrederi

Having opened up several Sundstrands in many cases the slippers were probably restorable with some wet sand paper on glass work.  That way you can keep them married up with the correct hole in the piston block. You never could by replacemtn slippers you had to buy the entire unit as they are supposed mated to the block holes.  What is usually too far gone is the valve plate.The pump plates are still available but the motor plates have to have the center hole enlarged.

Desko
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Having opened up several Sundstrands in many cases the slippers were probably restorable with some wet sand paper on glass work.  That way you can keep them married up with the correct hole in the piston block. You never could by replacemtn slippers you had to buy the entire unit as they are supposed mated to the block holes.  What is usually too far gone is the valve plate.The pump plates are still available but the motor plates have to have the center hole enlarged.

This is true. I could ream the holes out slightly larger to true them up and make slightly oversized pistons.