roadapples

Tie rods

roadapples

I'm trying to adjust the tie rods on a '94 520. I've loosened the nuts but the center tube doesn't want to turn on one of them. Any suggestions on how to turn it without gouging or tearing up the metal. I've tried a short piece of hose split and slipped over it to use with channel locks and vice grips....I've given it about 6 wraps of duct tape and tried a pipe wrench... and yes I've been soaking it. I'd really like to turn it without chewing it all up. Any suggestions.... Thanks

benji756

try heating it up

• Like 2

Digger 66
4 hours ago, roadapples said:

I'm trying to adjust the tie rods on a '94 520. I've loosened the nuts but the center tube doesn't want to turn on one of them. Any suggestions on how to turn it without gouging or tearing up the metal. I've tried a short piece of hose split and slipped over it to use with channel locks and vice grips....I've given it about 6 wraps of duct tape and tried a pipe wrench... and yes I've been soaking it. I'd really like to turn it without chewing it all up. Any suggestions.... Thanks

If the rubber hose is too soft , try a piece of leather . Like a piece from an old work-boot.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I use my big vise with the copper jaws to hold round rods and pipe Jay.  If you don't have copper jaws, maybe wrap it with any thin metal like roof flashing or brass shim or hard wood blocks for protection in the vise.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

If you don't have copper jaws, maybe wrap it  ********************    blocks for protection in the vise.

All o' the above are good ideas.

FYI -  I found some really hard plastic blocks last year that have magnets and a line-up lip on the jaw side and grooves of differing sizes and angles on the holding side. SUPER handy and I think they around $10. I keep 'em right with the vice and even on it much of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

HEAT! :happy-bouncyredfire:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1