skinne344

D180 need help

skinne344

Haven't been on here in a while but been busy working on stuff, I have my D180 all put back together from doing a pain job and ran into some problems when I tried to fire her up. The motor is a Kohler 18 horse twin cylinder and I am having trouble with the throttle and governor linkage. If someone could send me a pick of the correct way this should look when hooked up it would be much appreciated. It seems that when I have it hooked up the throttle lever will not move all the way up on the dash which I do not remember it working like this. Anyway any help will do, trying to get her running again I can get her to fire but runs real rough and dies. 

Thanks

skinne344

Readjusted the points last night and she fired up, but the throttle lever still does not feel right diagrams I found of carburetor do not show the linkage clearly.

wallfish

I'm not familiar with that engine but try loosening the throttle cable conduit clamp near the carb. Move throttle lever to the full position, then with the engine running, pull on the conduit until the engine runs at full throttle,3600 rpm and tighten the clamp while holding it. 

There should be some adjustment holes in the little levers to gain or loose the amount of travel the levers has to move.

At least that's where I would start until someone more familiar comes along with the answer. Pics of your setup would certainly help too.

• Like 2

Sarge

Download the engine manual here , should be in the manuals section . Make sure to get the one for your K482 and go through the governor settings - it will also show how the linkage is set up between the carb and the governor . The throttle link should hook to a ball stud on the middle arm between the carb and governor - the governor does the work , not the throttle cable .

Sarge

skinne344

Thanks for the help readjusted the points fired her up also got the linkage figured out everything seems good to go.

• Thanks 1

Sarge

Good deal - be careful with that engine and treat it well , rebuild parts are getting NLA real fast . Those flat twin K series iron engines are some of the best Kohler ever made , period . It's nice to have that massive torque and an oil pump to boot - probably a good idea to check the oil pressure at one of the many 1/8-27NPT plugs located in the block , should be around 50psi if it's in good shape .

If I run across any used K series flat twins - I'm grabbing every one of them as they were used in a lot of industrial equipment and have a well proven track record of reliability .

Sarge

slim67
10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Good deal - be careful with that engine and treat it well , rebuild parts are getting NLA real fast . Those flat twin K series iron engines are some of the best Kohler ever made , period . It's nice to have that massive torque and an oil pump to boot - probably a good idea to check the oil pressure at one of the many 1/8-27NPT plugs located in the block , should be around 50psi if it's in good shape .

If I run across any used K series flat twins - I'm grabbing every one of them as they were used in a lot of industrial equipment and have a well proven track record of reliability .

Sarge

Is that the Magnum you're referring to? If so, my previous employer had three Gravely Promasters like the one pictured with Magnums that ran and ran, Smooth and powerful,

46766938_-1x-1_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

No , not the magnum - the K series flat twins are different . If you have a D180 it should have a K482 in it , unless someone has swapped it out for a later style engine .

Sarge

• Like 1

slim67
50 minutes ago, Sarge said:

No , not the magnum - the K series flat twins are different . If you have a D180 it should have a K482 in it , unless someone has swapped it out for a later style engine .

Sarge

I just googled that engine and see it was put in some heavy duty tractors like Bolens along with the tractors your discussing. I don't recall ever seeing one in person. I will have to keep an eye out at the next tractor show!