Been a while since I've posted anything... I have a 416-8 with the Onan engine and when I start it up it has a puff of white smoke witch quickly goes away after start up is this something I should be concerned about ?

Mfg'd 1989 thru 1997 - probably just normal wear - needs rings etc....however....it is just oil ..mine does the same -1988...untold hours - still runs, so just keep it up to snuff on the oil..when it gets bad, then  do something.. my .:twocents-02cents:

Do you choke it first when this happens? That's normal if so. Try starting without choking to see what happens. I have two 520's and a 416-8 and they all do this when I choke them to start. 

I do choke them first, i will try without as long as that's normal then I'm not worried about it 

When I start my 520, I give a quarter throttle and put the choke lever all the way up. As soon as I hit the key I start to drop the choke lever down and that seems to work well on mine. 

• Like 1

Yep! Same here except I don't give it any throttle. Mine start with just choking them. They technically should run with the choke all of the way close for a handful of seconds while puffing smoke. I just let them do that. I at least drop the choke down to 50% or 25%... If warm, they don't even need it from my experience.