W/H JUNKY

4 speed transmission

W/H JUNKY

Hey all. I have two 4 speed trans that will not stay in 3rd gear. If I hold it over it runs just fine the second I let off it pops out of gear. I do not know the history of these tractors if they were worked hard or what but beside that they are in great shape. Any suggestions. Or what are my options. Thanks in advance  

• Like 1

oldredrider

Your 3rd gear is shot from shifting on the fly. Easy to replace and the vendor wheelhorseman has them ready to ship. Check the vendor section for his link.

Wheelhorsepartsandmore

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 3

Racinbob

That's a pretty common problem in the older transmissions. I'm sure it didn't help that Wheel Horse had a blurb in the owners manual to just depress the clutch/brake half way to shift while in motion :no:Here's what happens:

5981bbb8d38dc_3523Comparison.JPG.e5af909f98fdcb1ae9dfa1247fb4e9af.JPG

The one on the left is a NOS gear, p/n 3523. The right one shows the wear but yours will be worse than that. In 3rd gear the inner teeth engage the input shaft, p/n 3524. As Paul said, you can get a new one here https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/transmissions.html

The input shaft is tougher and likely will be ok but do check it out. Also, it's possible that when the shifter is in the third gear detents that there's some in/out play on the input shaft. Not good. That play equates to the 3523 partially disengaging from the 3524. I used the correct thickness arbor shim behind the 3524 to correct the problem.

No worries about digging into the transmission. They are actually pretty simple. Go to the transmission section for tons of info and Stevasaurus has some videos as well. You'll get plenty of help from the folks here. :)

• Like 3