TravelinJavelin

954/1054 tranny mods or swaps?

TravelinJavelin

I know its been hashed and rehashed on this subject but would like all around views on preserving these trannies  or idea's on possible swaps to maybe like a 8 spd and yes I do realize these axles are longer I do admit I like the idea of having a 8spd mated to one of these tractors just looking to for folks to come up with some creative ways maybe to make a 953 or 1054 better ?

DennisThornton

"953"  you wrote in the text & meant in the subject... 

I've always thought I'd had to have low/high range but be careful with talk like that around here...  Others think differently!  And I'm starting to think I might have been wrong...   I seldom use "Low" range except in 1st or reverse.  I'd miss it for sure but I'd improve my driving skills and get by.  But I would miss it if it was my only tractor!  Keep that in mind around here, many (most?) have several tractors. A yard tractor used to backup might be a 3x2 and the workhorse plow tractor a 953 3sp and the 953 not miss Low at all.  Just saying... 

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin
8 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

"953"  you wrote in the text & meant in the subject... 

I've always thought I'd had to have low/high range but be careful with talk like that around here...  Others think differently!  And I'm starting to think I might have been wrong...   I seldom use "Low" range except in 1st or reverse.  I'd miss it for sure but I'd improve my driving skills and get by.  But I would miss it if it was my only tractor!  Keep that in mind around here, many (most?) have several tractors. A yard tractor used to backup might be a 3x2 and the workhorse plow tractor a 953 3sp and the 953 not miss Low at all.  Just saying... 

well my thought was being that the trannies are on the rare side and for some hard to get if something does go wrong plus I was thinking it would be less strain on the tractor with low range for pulling real heavy loads

• Like 1

953 nut

I have a six speed in one of mine and the only time I use low range is descending an extremely steep slope (going down the trailer ramp) and don't want to do that for long because the engine isn't getting very good splash lubrication at that point. If you plan to haul a "real heavy load" you probably want to use a bigger tractor. A :wh: will pull a lot more than it is capable of stopping.

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

its something i'd not do all the time but if need be it could called upon for special assignment with some safety and common sense rules like anything