drugdoc

Wheel Horse D250 with Front lifter and belly mower help

drugdoc

I bought a Wheel Horse D250 last year and have replaced the fuel pump. It was working fine and had the front loader already installed. I spent the afternoon removing the front loader and got the belly mower installed. Put new blades on it. Started it up and engaged the blades and it made a horrific metal clanging noise so I shut it off the belly mower. It was smoking pretty bad and I realized that I had the Bosch front hydraulic pump still engaged even though the hydraulic hoses weren't connected to anything, so I disengaged the front hydraulic pump and it had a difficult time starting, finally started and the died. Now the darn thing won't start or even turn over. I checked all the fuses and they all are allowing current to flow so I am at my wits end. There are still those two hydraulic hoses that are not attached to anything and I cant find a place to connect them. Obviously I am a city slicker who moved to the country five years ago and have a lot to learn. Anyone with any advice or help would be awesomely appreciated.

953 nut

:WRS:        I have never owned a "D-250" so this is a stab in the dark. Is your hydraulic pump belt driven? If it is you may want to remove the drive belt, you may have run the pump dry and seized it up; hope not.

• Like 1

fast88pu
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:        I have never owned a "D-250" so this is a stab in the dark. Is your hydraulic pump belt driven? If it is you may want to remove the drive belt, you may have run the pump dry and seized it up; hope not.

I 2nd this

• Like 1

drugdoc

The starter won't engage so I think it's something electrical. I took the ignition switch off and checked it with an ohm meter and it did show 0 ohms when I turned the key. 

• Like 1

953 nut

I think you need to determine what made all the racket prior to attempting to start it. With any electrical problem the first thing to do is clean and tighten all  electrical connection including grounds and have the battery load tested.

drugdoc

It seemed like after I disengaged the hydraulic pump and attempted to start it it didn't turn over as vigorously as before but I did get it to start but it immediately died. I hooked a decent battery charger up to it and tried to start it and there was nothing. It didn't even try to turn over. I've got the wiring diagram and have tried to follow all the different leads and connectors but they didn't leave a lot of room to maneuver around inside the engine compartment. I noticed there was an allen bold that I should have tightened down when I hooked up the drive shaft so maybe that was what all the racket was. I also raised up the back wheels to the belly mower. What are you supposed to do with the two hydraulic hoses that you disconnect from the loader after you disconnect it? I just zip tied them to keep them out of the way. I couldn't find any place where they would connect to. These darn D250's are so rare I've googled and youtubed and have come up with nothing.

drugdoc
15 hours ago, fast88pu said:

I 2nd this

It is belt driven. The more I think about it the more it sounds like this could be the problem. I pulled out one of the fuses from the fuse panel and the damn thing broke off at the tip. Does anyone know where to find replacement fuses which are unlike anything I've ever run across.

stratostar250
22 minutes ago, drugdoc said:

It is belt driven. The more I think about it the more it sounds like this could be the problem. I pulled out one of the fuses from the fuse panel and the damn thing broke off at the tip. Does anyone know where to find replacement fuses which are unlike anything I've ever run across.

A bunch of old german cars used these fuses, You can get them at most auto parts stores.  I've never taken the loader off of mine, so I cannot really be of assistance, sorry!

shallowwatersailor

The fuse sounds like a Bosch ATS fuse. They were ceramic and colored to show what the rating was. I had a 1970 Saab 99 that used these fuses. Because of the small contact area (shaped like a bullet) I would need to turn them every few months because of corrosion buildup.

Have you checked for Gutbrod tractor info? That is who made the D-250.

• Like 1