Firebug

D160 mower deck issues

Firebug

I have a 1974 d160. I'm having issues with the 48 inch mower deck. When I get into some taller grass it stops the blades from spinning. I've messed with the tension adjuster but it doesn't seem to help even with good tension. I found that if I hold the engagement lever about halfway it doesn't happen. I just can't seem to get the blades to spin properly in the grass, I'm considering getting a new p.o.s. tractor just to cut the grass but I really don't want to go that route. Any help is greatly appreciated 

DTOM

With the engine off, check the function of the ''ENTIRE'' P.T.O Clutch assembly and make adjustment so your not slipping. 

Firebug

Pto seems to be working ok, I adjusted that the other day and it doesn't slip 

DTOM

It may seem a little dangerous but, start the tractor, have it in high throttle, engage pto, and go forward slow speed while you are to the side of the tractor to actual see what belt is not spinning full speed when your cutting some tall grass.   

Firebug

I'll try that, I have put my boot on the left pulley ( not smart and extremely dangerous, I know) and was able to stop the outer pulls with just a little pressure. With the hood open I can see the main pto belt stop

DTOM

Defiantly check the pto from slipping then. You should have full pressure on the clutch discs with the pto lever all the way forward. Adjust your clutch bars with the turn buckle to get full pressure forward but also fully disengage with pto lever all the way back. 

• Like 1

Firebug

I'll check them again, to get full pressure I have to adjust the turnbuckle to "lengthen" the clutch bar correct? The other issue I'm having is that when I have the clutch lever back to disengage the pto the lever won't stay, it falls foreword and engages the blades again

gwest_ca

There is a pto clutch adjustment procedure in this service manual

Section 7 to 9 on page 9-2.

Garry

Firebug

Thanks, I looked over that, it shows a d160 with the electric pto, which I do not have, and the non electric on the d200, is the procedure going to be the same for mine as the d200. 

DTOM

Yes it will be the same as the earlier models. Loosen the two nuts on either side of the turn buckle and you can draw it in and out by turning it. Two 3/4 wrenches will do.

Firebug

I do want to apologize to everyone responding if my questions seem so basic. This is my first venture into a vintage  tractor, so I'm trying to learn as much about it as it a work in progress while I still need to use it as I maintain my 2 acre slice of heaven. 

I adjusted it the other day but I guess I really didn't know how far to adjust it

DTOM

If it is easier, you can call me. (860)930-3354 

Firebug

thank you! I'm at work today, might be able to get to it this afternoon, my next full day off is Friday, (gotta love fire department shifts)  are you available Friday ?

DTOM

You can call anytime, if i don't pickup just leave a message and i'll call you back.  You'll be mowing like champ on your D160 soon. I have a few "D" series tractors that i use on a regular bases for mowing and they do a good job for what they are.

Firebug

I'm really excited to get it tuned right, it's a nice size tractor for what I need. My regret is not buying the 3 point setup for $300 when I got the tractor last year, hard to find now that I sort of know what I'm looking for, but I just need to get everything else going right before I worry about a 3 point. Baby steps

Firebug

Just wanted to update, I adjusted the pto engagement bar, again, and it seems to be cutting good. Member DTOM was a huge help in identifying some of the different issues I've been having with the pto and belt tension adjustment. Could still use a little tweaking but at least it's cutting. I want to ad that I adjusted it with my son on the tractor with it running. Apparently my plug wire was laying on the rod as I was adjusting it and I got some bleed over current, that thing shocked the s#|¥ out of me. Lesson learned. I want to thank everyone again for their responses 

Sarge

If you get nailed by the plug wire , it's got a pin hole or crack in the insulation somewhere - might want to replace it .

Sarge

Firebug

It has a spot worn through the jacket  I wrapped it with electrical tape but there must still be a spot worn through

DTOM

Good to hear that you have the mower deck in check. Take the time now to find a plow or snow thrower for the winter. 

Firebug

I'm going to be looking for a plow. I think I would get more use out of it around the property. Thanks for all your help