BigRed84

What did I do this time!?

BigRed84

HELP!  So aggravated right now.  I took seat and pan off, foot rests, in preparation of installing the rear clevis hitch soon so I can plow a big vegetable garden.  Noticed the fuel line was looking real gunked up (on the outside) so I decided with everything apart, now would be a good time to replace it.  It's either a 97 or 98 314-H with the Kohler engine.  Was running perfectly fine until i pulled the old fuel line off and put a new one on.  It ran for about a minute and then died.  I pulled the air filter off to check the small line and the main line, no leaks, tried it again, it starts right up, runs for maybe 3 to 5 seconds, then dies and spits fuel out of the front of the carb.  I touched absolutely nothing except the fuel line.  Any ideas??  : (   

953 nut

With the tank under the seat and a new empty gas line the fuel pump isn't pulling a prime. Fill the tank, remove the fuel line from the pump until gas starts to flow and put it back on.

• Like 5

BigRed84

Ok, just tried it.  Fuel flowed past the filter and out of the line immediately when i pulled it off of the pump.  There is still more than several drips that pour out of the carb once it stalls in a matter of seconds.  I figure that means fuel is getting through the new lines with no issue.  Somehow maybe there's a coincidence and I have a new issue that just happened to occur while cleaning it....maybe there's dirt blocking the float?  Any other ideas appreciated.  I guess tomorrow i'll pull the carb off.  

• Like 1

jay bee

I'm no expert but, it sounds to me like you have kicked something loose and it landed in the needle and seat.  You may have to take the carb apart and clean things out.

Jim

• Like 4

jay bee
1 hour ago, BigRed84 said:

and spits fuel out of the front of the carb.

This is why I think it is in the needle and seat.  Sorry, but I tried to edit this into the previous post.  I guess I don't know how to do that!!!

Jim

Edited by jay bee
  • Like 2

BigRed84

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll pull the carb tomorrow and update with any findings.  

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Once again....not to insult anyone....BUT....  you had to turn the gas valve OFF to change out the fuel line.  Did you simply FORGET to turn the valve back to OPEN....  Maybe, with a valve that drips, a little fuel would drip past enough to start, but would soon die out.   

• Like 2

BigRed84

Not insulting at all....mainly because I've done that before with an old snow blower i used to have.   hahaha.  Unfortunately this time I triple checked the valve, you can see plenty of fuel in the filter downstream from the tank, and when I pulled the line off of the pump I let fuel drain out for at least 20 to 30 seconds, and it just kept flowing.  The fuel that pours out of the carb after it stalls is what makes me think there's a blockage of some sort in the bowl.  I will update later if I find anything significant after I disassemble it.  

6bg6ga

Probably the float drop setting is off allowing it to drop too low  and the needle isn't contacting the seat. Was the new line clean? Caution used in installing the new line so as on dirt got inside it?  You might gently tap the side of the carb with a hammer handle and maybe it will seat. I would suggest pulling the top off the carb and setting both the float level and the float drop.

BigRed84

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Unfortunately with my limited knowledge of these carbs I'm not too sure what I did other than disassembling it, blasted everything with carb cleaner, put it back together, and it fired right up after that.  That being said, I pulled the needle and float off while cleaning, didn't find any dirt or debris, so i'm confused as to what exactly went wrong.  Either way, I got it all back together and rode around the yard for a bit, no issues at all.  I might just bring it to a good dealer somewhere if I can find one and have everything gone over, as I only know how to do the basic routine stuff.  

I have a ticking sound that goes faster and slower along with the RPM I'm running at, so maybe it's time for a rebuild anyways?  No smoke or anything.  What do you guys think, rebuild anyways?  What price range should I expect for a Kohler rebuild?  

Thanks again for all the help.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

I got it all back together and rode around the yard for a bit, no issues at all.

:woohoo:      If all it is doing is making a ticking sound I would just monitor it to be sure it isn't getting louder. 

9 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

What price range should I expect for a Kohler rebuild?

An arm and a leg in most cases.

• Like 1

BigRed84
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:      If all it is doing is making a ticking sound I would just monitor it to be sure it isn't getting louder. 

An arm and a leg in most cases.

Well, I guess I do have two each....haha.  I'll just keep my ears on it for now like you suggested. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Carb cleaner works in mysterious ways, and it will never tell you what was wrong.  Relax, you do not need to know what was wrong, you just need to know to use carb cleaner to fix it.  That is why all of us are in the same boat, and everybody was guessing above.  Carb Cleaner Rules.  :occasion-xmas:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

The ticking might just be a valve that needs adjusted.

jnbimplements

Sounds like you're sucking air thru the new fuel line instead of gas. Which means you have vacum leak on the new fuel line between the pump and the tank .