mrc

front wheels at winter time

mrc

hello men, i know winter is far off but, never too early for being prepared.  i'm working on my son-in-laws C160 with snowplow bade. for the front tires i know a lot of you run turfs with some roller chain around them.  is that real good?  OR  i have an extra set of ag's with the appropriate size tire chains off an old walk behind snowblower i could put on. would those kind of chains put too much stress on the steering fan gear? all comments welcome. thanks     mike in mass.

oldlineman

I put roller chain on last year and what a differance, like the front end is glued to the ground. TSC #40 roller chain an extra splice link about $23.00 . Best money I have spent . Mine is a 1979 C-101. Bob

• Like 2

midpack

i agree, i put roller chains on the front tires with a snowblower attachment and it made a huge difference.

I did notice however that my 12hp machine with a plow likes to slide off the path if I have the angle set to one side or the other. Now whether that's because of the weight difference between a KT17 and a Magnum 12, i don't know...

BOB ELLISON

I have a C160 and I use it for snow plowing only with newer turf tires and never had a problem turning. If your tires are worn-out then I would use the chain's but I've never needed them. I've never used a blower so I wouldn't know about that.

KC9KAS

I have pushed some really heavy, wet snow before and the front end of my GT-14 would slide sideways.

I am sure that wouldn't be a problem if I had the roller chain option on my front wheels!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The C-175 pushed some wet heavy snow this year, never seemed to be a problem, but the tires are good, fwiw.

Glenn

shallowwatersailor

If you have the ags available, put them on but install them backwards. That way they will dig into the snow. I wouldn't bother putting chains on the ags.

• Like 2

Sarge

I use the ags on the front , normal forward position and never have had an issue with tire slip , even on icy pavement . It's all about weight and the ones I've liquid filled the steer tires work the best overall . Filling them and adding the front wheel weights does put more stress on the steering components but if you learn to only turn while moving it's not that bad and the limited amount of rubber on the ground makes it steer pretty easily .

Sarge

rjg854

I plow snow with a Commando 8 and I also use roller chains on the front tires. The difference between using them or not is like the difference between night and day. I'll never plow snow without them  on anymore