ohiofarmer

Transmission drive belt too long or too short

ohiofarmer

Just about pulling my hair out on this one. I changed [traded ] transmissions from a Raider 10 to a newer unit  from an unmarkerd12 horsepower 8 speed. After i hooked it up, the belt was too loose to drive the machine at about 83"  i then bought a new 83" belt and it was still too loose. An 82" belt will drive it fine, but will not loosen enough with the clutch applied to shift gears. I am either doing something wrong with the clutch side or i need to change the idler pulley on the throwout arm from 4" to something smaller. There is only so much adjustment anyway until the clutch hits its limit

The original belt on the Raider is 83'" although it is old enough to have some wear. I have checked all the drive pulleys from each transmission and they are the same size. I used a 5/8ths x 82" belt and wonder if a half inch belt might sink into the pulleys just enough to compensate for the mis-match.

Those are all the ideas I have and do not know what else to try..

N3PUY

are you putting the belt guard back on to test it?

How about a picture of the tensioner pulley.  Both engaged and disengaged.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

You realize the belt guard needs to be on for the clutch to work?

When the clutch is applied the belt needs to be supported by the lower lip on the guard. If it is not there the belt sags and won't slip on the engine pulley.

5/8" x 82" is the correct belt but the sides need to be fabric covered.

Garry

• Like 2

daveoman1966

You realize, too, that these are NOT synchromesh transmissions ..  It is necessary to be at FULL STOP when moving from one gear to the next.  

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

As usual, you guys are awesome and correct. Put the guard back on and it worked pretty well, but a bit of a squeal when i hit the brake. I will adjust the brake and clutch engagement a bit to tune it in. BTW, there is plenty of brake lining left

It seems as having a good brake band is part of the deal to get the transmission to come to a full stop. So then there is a balance to have the belt at its loosest point when the brake stops the transmission. Mine squeaks a bit so I know the belt is not quite as loose as I would like.  I think i can figure it out, but any input is welcome.

• Like 1